Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Faux Tin Tiles


I have always loved the look of antique tin tiles. The raised designs are so pretty and the layers of colors fascinating. Recreating faux tin tiles is great way to pay homage to them and add a wee bit of their beauty to a home.

To create one you will need
1 - a stencil of your tile pattern choice
2 - a square piece of backing material, I choose lightweight hardboard
3 - embossing paste
4 - various colors of paint
5 - various colors of metallic wax
6 - offset palette knife
7 - paint brushes
8 - mixing dish, I used a recycled pie tin
9 - sand paper optional
10 - silver glaze


Using a tin pan I mixed my Fusion Mineral Paint in coal black with Country Chic Paint's embossing paste in honey.

See how I used the embossing paste to create a beautifully framed chalkboard.


Using an offset pallet knife a thin layer was spread over the faux tin tile stencil.


Then lift the stencil to reveal the design. Above lower is this step and top is the stencil still in place.


Allow the paste to dry and lightly sand if too many high spots.



The entire surface was painted Fusion Mineral Paint in ash as the base color of the tile.


Then a variety of paint colors were added over the ash (above and below on the right)


Below all 4 are painted.



To give a more metal feel add various metallic waxes.

Final step for more shimmer like real tin, a silver glaze was brushed over all the surfaces


Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me

This is mine hanging in my entry niche




Here are a few others I have done as well








Shared at these Link Up parties
Creative Inspirations
Farmhouse Friday

Comments

  1. Where can I buy the stencils that you are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      If you have not found any, let me know and I will provide link

      Delete
  2. Can you tell me who h stencil this is in please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, this is a stencil I bought years ago at a market. It was made by http://muddaritavillestudio.com/?aff=11. I have messaged to see if she still sells it :)

      Delete
    2. This one is not available anymore but there are a couple other designs if you search tin tile in the link http://muddaritavillestudio.com/?aff=11

      Delete

Post a Comment