Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Oval Pedestal Dining Table in Walnut and Warm White


Dining tables get daily use and over time start to show their wear but they can be revived with paint and stain for many more years use.

Watch how I took this boring blond wood pedestal table and gave it some well deserved pizzazz.


After a good scrub it was time to remove the old finish.


I like to start with a heavy duty paint stripper and get as much of the factory finish scraped off as possible.


Then I power sand it well. Here I am trying a new foam backed sandpaper from SurfPrep which feels like the sandpaper is floating on a cloud.


The foam allows it to conform to edges without flattening them. 


Once all sanded down to bare wood it is once again wiped of all sanding dust.


I started with Minwax natural stain all over (here it is on the right) but it ended up looking like the original color.


So I applied Minwax  puritan pine stain while the natural was still wet. (it is shown on right again)


After drying overnight I still was not loving the color sooooo


on went General Finishes antique walnut gel stain , my latest favorite stain color. See it recently on this accent chair, these side tables and this gorgeous coffee table.


Now to work on the pedestal and table skirt. I chose House & Canvas's warm angora white.



Now the stain was good and dry, 4 coats of General Finishes high performance top coat in flat finish with my angled Zibra brush went on with overnight drying between coats.


I love the flat finish on a dining table, much more forgiving for fingerprints and such.


Back to the base and skirt; 3 coats in total were brushed on for good coverage.


To add age and dimension, Daddy Vans  clear orange scented wax was hand rubbed all over to seal the paint then their cafe noir was added into the nooks and crannies.


LOVE the result of this combination.


And it is now ready to serve and provide so many memories of those gathered around it.





Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me








Comments