Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Vintage Chair in Buttermilk Cream


How about a vintage chair updated to a soft buttercream yellow and natural oiled wood combo? Do you like that?


Here is the chair in its original state


All my wood pieces get scrubbed well with warm soapy water and a scrub brush then rinsed well and left to dry completely.



This vintage cutie had loose chair back spindles so I flipped it over and drilled out the wedges on both corner spindles.


This allowed for all to be removed, sanded well on each end to remove any former glue. The seat top and chair back were power sanded to the bare wood.


Removing the back made this so much easier to get the seat top perfectly smoothed down.


The base and spindles were painted in Fusion Mineral Paint 's buttermilk cream; a soft buttery yellow. I have used this beautiful color before on this vintage magazine rack.


My go to for spindle painting is using a cardboard box which allows all sides to be painted and dry without touching anything.


Natural wood is HUGE right now so I chose to just use tung oil on this solid wood chair seat and back. See how the wood sucks up that oil above?


Three coats were applied allowing it to dry overnight between coats.


Two coats of buttermilk cream were applied to spindles and chair base.


Then all were distressed then Fusion Mineral Paint  espresso wax was applied to catch in the details to enhance the aged look.


It was now time to reglue each spindle top and bottom. It is best to use a paint brush to apply the glue and move quickly. Once all are in place and the chair top on too, it was left to dry.


And the vintage chair has a whole new look!






Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me

Comments