Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Antique Vanity in Warm White Milk Paint


Antique vanity extreme before and after


I have a love of antique vanities; I have many fond memories watching my Grandma at hers, When I find them I cannot pass them up ;)


I was using this mixable wood putty on this French Provincial desk and had some left over so added it to the lower edge of the vanity where the veneer was missing.


I also used it to rebuild missing molding

It was the perfect medium to use and turned out really well.


Next it was on to the top to strip the old finish.







Power sanding removed all the original stain and varnish but there were these oil spots that now showed.


I wiped the top well with mineral spirits and let dry well and they were gone.

Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me


Now the good deep scrub could be done. ALWAYS scrub your pieces well. I use warm water with a dash of liquid dish soap and TSP. Scrub brushes get in all the nooks and crannies. Rinse well.


and let dry well!


General Finishes antique walnut gel stain was applied on the top.  A second coat was applied the next day followed by a coat of their java stain.



Above is one coat of antique walnut stain on 3 pieces; farmhouse riser, a dining table and this vanity.

I then added 4 coats of General Finishes high performance top coat in flat finish for a beautiful durable finish that enhances the gorgeous grain.


There were more repairs as per most antiques especially after a good cleaning. The veneer was lifting on the bottom edge so reglued and clamped and left overnight.


The vanity back edge had some areas needing new glue and clamping too.


Then it was on to painting finally. Old Fashioned Milk Paint in buttermilk was mixed up and brushed on.


Two coats of buttermilk then Old Fashioned Milk Paint in light cream was layered over it. See the difference the layers make above.



It is hard to tell but above is buttermilk and to the right is light cream layered over it.

Milk paint does what it wants, this is something you must be prepared for ;) 


I was not happy with the chipping so washed it all back off areas where it was too chippy, 


lightly sanded the drawer fronts and the stool base, added a bit of bond to the paint and redid the layers. I was pleased with it then. I did a separate tutorial post on the stool seeing there was more work involved to reupholster as well.

All the pieces were now sealed with clear wax.


To keep the vanity pieces looking their age, I add it with dark wax.


this is the final result of the video


See how different it looks with and without?


Hours of clear and dark hand waxing.


to get an authentic antiqued look. The original hardware was scrubbed clean and put back on.


The vanity stool was reupholstered, click HERE to see the entire process. 



All the hours were so well worth it, she turned out so pretty don't you think?









Raise your hand if your love antique vanities!! I sure do.







FEATURED ON
Farmhouse Friday


March 18, 2020

Shared at these Link Up Parties
Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I love the contrast with the stained top. How lucky to find a vintage vanity with the seat and mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, actually the stool was not part of the purchase, luckily I found one that went perfect with it. And yes the mirror was so awesome to have original. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful restoration ! I have one too that I would like to restore. Very nervous to start. How do I send you a picture ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, apologies for such a long delay as I found these comments in a hidden moderation folder :(

      You can send me a photo via my email creativemoments10@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. AMAZING I just started following you! you do AMAZING work that I would love to learn from:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, apologies for such a long delay as I found these comments in a hidden moderation folder :(

      Delete
  4. Absolutely stunning... I never seem to get the waxing correct n mine definitely doesn't look as beautiful as your piece..wtg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, apologies for such a long delay as I found these comments in a hidden moderation folder :(

      Delete

Post a Comment