Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Vintage Coffee Table Goes Beachy Milk Painted


Solid wood vintage coffee table, yes please!! Especially once updated in fresh beachy colors.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Step one: SCRUB WELL and let dry!

This solid wood beauty was given to me by a neighbor who was downsizing her stash, thanks Cara. I knew it had loads of possibility as I have done a few similar vintage coffee tables like it. A recent one in farmhouse whites and this one below many moons ago.


Step two: sand all the old finish off the top.


The top was sanded to bare wood using my handy dandy Dewalt orbital sander .


It was then hand sanded on the edges to remove the old finish along there as well.


My initial plan was to give the bare wood a white wash look. I chose Weatherwood Stains white maintenance oil applied with a blue shop towel and wiped back after it soaked in for about 10 minutes. The top part has the oil applied, it hydrates the wood too. Two coats were applied and left moving on to the base.


The base was painted in Miss Mustard Seed's  Marzipan. One coat above and 2 coats below.


NOTE: There was an area that I had filled using DAP wood pro-x wood filler below


But seeing it has a pink indicator that shows when wet, the milk paint reactivated it after it dried to a wood tone. To resolve this I sprayed a few coats of Zinsser Bull’s Eye spray shellac . In the future though I would use regular DAP wood pro wood colored to avoid this issue.


To add more dimension but keep in the light beachy tones, Homestead House milk paint in limestone was brushed all over the marzipan.


Then all layers were sanded smooth with a sanding sponge as well as the edges and detailing distressed. Then the entire base was clear waxed using Homestead House Wax.


I felt the top was too orangy even with the white oil so needed a plan b. Using the Homestead House milk paint in limestone a wash over top was applied then sanded.


Another wash of Miss Mustard Seed's in shutter grey was applied and sanded as well.  Then I mixed a black milk paint I had in the fridge with the shutter grey and brushed a more solid coat on.


Using my spray mister as I went to blend all the milk paint layers really helps.


This is the wet layers.


Once dry the top was sanded smooth with a sanding sponge.


The original hardware was scrubbed and dried.


Krylon spray paint in oil rubbed bronze was sprayed on them.


However it was too dark for the beachy look so another plan b was in order.


The top was given another coat of Weatherwood Stains white maintenance oil then left to dry for over 72 hours. Two coats of Weatherwood Stains satin conversion varnish was applied to give a durable finish to this vintage coffee table.


Plan b for the hardware was Krylon satin nickel which looked so much better.


To give added dimension to the base, Homestead House Wax black wax was applied to all the edges, nooks and crannies as well as Miss Mustard Seed's zinc wax.




I LOVE the plan B top!! Do you?


I did not have appropriate baskets in color or size but think proper ones would look great.







July 28, 2020


Shared up at 

Comments

  1. That looks really great! It's interesting how the whole style of the piece changed, just by changing the color. I love it. Thanks for sharing it at the TFT party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much. Isn't it amazing he power of paint?

      Delete
  2. Are you drying in between wash’s and solid coat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Some of the layers were done while wet and some I let dry

      Delete
  3. You did well try and painted coffee tables beautifully, thanks for sharing amazing ideas.. I will execute on Coffee Tablesand rest of others as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  5. I love what you did.
    Are the steps posted anywhere or do I need to write them all down in the order you followed ?
    I’ld like to try this on a bedroom dresser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Follow the steps as I show above as well as check out many other tutorials I have done here too

      Delete
  6. I am so in love with this coffee table. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;( I am catching up on them now :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

    I am so happy to inspire, that is what keeps me writing and sharing these tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment