Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Classic Black Antique Dresser


A childhood friend brought her Grandma's antique dresser to me for a reloving. Growing up, it was never a favorite of hers but once it was passed on to her she did not want to throw it out and thought perhaps we could make it pretty. I loved it from first sight and knew it could be made gorgeous.


I went with classic black as my color choice. She had loved this dresser I did for my middle daughter so felt it would be the right pick.


As per my usual look I wanted to keep the wood top stained. I started this process with a thick cot of paint stripper and a few different grits of sandpaper to bring it back to the natural wood. A good scrub for everything and let dry.



Keeping the classic black theme, I went with Homestead House's new stain and finishing oil all in one in ebony to rehydrate, stain and seal the beautiful wood grain. I used 4 coats with usually overnight dry time and fine sponge sanding between coats.


the one side and a bit on the top had bad damage on the veneer so had to be filled (shown above) then sanded smooth


The base and mirror frame only needed one coat of Fusion Mineral Paint 's coal black. The original dark finish helped keep it to one coat.




A good sanding distressed the edges perfectly and kept the aged charm.


All the painted areas were given a good coat of Homestead House black furniture wax to deepen the color and add a old fashioned wax sheen to the stunning dresser.


black wax is on the middle drawer..


and the original hardware brass polished up beautifully (above top)

Once all put back together with the drawer slides waxed








painted beautiful




*Disclosure
I have received product as a brand blog rep in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains sponsored links for Fusion Mineral Paint & Homestead House Paint Co. 



This was FEATURED at


Shared at these linky parties

Comments

  1. That turned out great. Love the black finish with just a slight distressing. Classic look. Pinning. Thanks for sharing at To Grandmas House We Go Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful makeover - so classy painted black. I love how you kept that beautiful grain on the top with ebony stain. Lovely! pinned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you , I love wood grain too and love to keep where I can!

      Delete
  3. Cindy from Logan, OhAugust 08, 2017 9:25 AM

    I'm not one for painting or changing an antique to anything other than what it was when it was made. I like the antique look of old furniture and what it was intended to be. But I have to say this dresser is beautiful. You done a fantastic job on it. It looks like it was black to start with. And it didn't really change the look of the piece like most painted looks too. Just the right amount of distressing look makes it look real and used.
    Great job. You should be very proud of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your kind words, I do try and keep them looking old and keep wood grain where I can ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful job! Was the mirror just dirty intially or did you do something to it to make it look new again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe just dirty, good scrub always is in order for this old gems ;)

      Delete
  5. At first I thought you painted the whole thing and I wanted to cry because of that gorgeous top. SO glad you kept the top natural, it looks great, classic but modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I keep wood grain when I can for sure, it has such beauty ;)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! You did a terrific job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment