From Gilded to Grounded: A Standing Jewelry Armoire's Dark Moody Transformation
Sometimes, a "bright and airy" makeover just doesn’t fit the vibe. I found this standing jewelry armoire after it had already been given a white and gold facelift by someone else, but it felt a bit too "glam" for many people. I knew it had the potential to be something much more sophisticated, mysterious, and—of course— moody . In this tutorial, I’m taking you through the process of retaining some of the previous DIY and layering on a deep, velvety dark green finish. We’ll be leaning into those shadows, highlighting the unique curved silhouette. Whether you're looking to tone down a piece that's "too bright" or you're ready to embrace the dark academia aesthetic, here is how I turned a high-contrast piece into a seamless, moody masterpiece.











That turned out great. Love the black finish with just a slight distressing. Classic look. Pinning. Thanks for sharing at To Grandmas House We Go Link Party.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful makeover - so classy painted black. I love how you kept that beautiful grain on the top with ebony stain. Lovely! pinned
ReplyDeletethank you , I love wood grain too and love to keep where I can!
DeleteI'm not one for painting or changing an antique to anything other than what it was when it was made. I like the antique look of old furniture and what it was intended to be. But I have to say this dresser is beautiful. You done a fantastic job on it. It looks like it was black to start with. And it didn't really change the look of the piece like most painted looks too. Just the right amount of distressing look makes it look real and used.
ReplyDeleteGreat job. You should be very proud of this piece.
thank you so much for your kind words, I do try and keep them looking old and keep wood grain where I can ;)
DeleteBeautiful job! Was the mirror just dirty intially or did you do something to it to make it look new again?
ReplyDeleteI believe just dirty, good scrub always is in order for this old gems ;)
DeleteAt first I thought you painted the whole thing and I wanted to cry because of that gorgeous top. SO glad you kept the top natural, it looks great, classic but modern.
ReplyDeletethanks, I keep wood grain when I can for sure, it has such beauty ;)
DeleteAbsolutely beautiful! You did a terrific job!
ReplyDeletethank you!
DeleteI just love what you have done with this old piece! It reminds me of my grandmother's dresser, especially the mirror. This must have been the style back in the 1920's I'm guessing. Beautiful job and black really makes it elegant.
ReplyDeletethank you Leslie, your kind words touch my heart!!
DeleteWow, it turned out beautifully! The old piece looked like it was in such bad shape (the finish, anyway) that I'm especially impressed with the gorgeous end product. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Will Blog for Comments #86 linkup. Wishing you a lovely week to come. Hope to see you at #87 which opens next Monday morning.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jennifer, it was such a great refinish for a good friend!
Delete