Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Custom Dining Table




This custom dining table originally in a dark factory finish was not holding up with a chipping and peeling finish. The customer had this inspiration photo she hoped to have it refinished to look like.


First I tried sanding the table top but no luck. Hoping stripper would be the answer I went with it next on one end.


But it would not even touch it!



I hand scraped the other end and hand sanded but not a real change. I wiped all with mineral spirits, no change.


The leaf was in the best shape in the middle, so it just had a light sanding 



The finish turned a whiteish color so staining was not an option so time to get the power sander back out and sand the uneven finish smooth.


That looks better but there was still areas of the "crystallized" finish,


so more hand scraping to get a smooth finish ready for painting. And to seal the areas that had the wood exposed, I spray painted them with a flat matte brown to seal and give a cohesive base surface.


To create the envisioned look on the base I chose Fusion Mineral Paint in raw silk using my new shorty Cling On brush. It was perfect holding enough paint and smooth brush strokes.


Seeing it was over such a dark finish, I applied 3 coats lightly wet sanding the edges between coats.


Then to add definition and age, Fusion's espresso wax was added to the nooks and crannies and edges.


Now back to the table top, to give it a dimensional wood look I started with Fusion Mineral Paint in chocolate again applied with the shorty Cling On brush all over the table and left to dry. Next I blended Fusion Mineral Paint in ash and coal black to add the variegation. I loved the look of them all together.


Fusion is very durable paint when cured but seeing this was a dining table and would have lots of traffic,  I applied Fusion Mineral Paint's discontinued antiquing tough coat with a damp sponge. It is just like the clear tough coat but has lots o dark colors which enriches the deep colors of the top.


It is hard to photograph but below is most true. Three coats of Fusion Mineral Paints wipe on tough coat  in antiquing color and the top was now finished as well.


I did not have the room to set it all up so the customer was kind enough to take photos in her home to share. It is perfect and very close to her inspiration photo. I have suggested we can make the bench and paint it in the matching colors to get even closer to the inspiration photo.







*Disclosure
I have received product as a brand blog rep in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains links for Fusion Mineral Paint & Homestead House Milk Paint to help you find the items I used easily. There is no monetary compensation to me, they are just added for your convenience ;)

Linked up here
Fridays Furniture Fix
Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations

Comments