Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Old Fashioned Milk Paint goes barnwood




I am very pleased to announce that I have been chosen as an Old Fashioned Milk Paint blogger, thank you OFMP. As my first project under this fabulous title I have chosen to paint is this well loved wood coffee table


I chose colors from their palette that depicted old barn wood colors; driftwood, slate and snow white.


As per all my projects the first step is to do repairs if needed, sand and give a good scrub with TSP , soap and water with 2 sizes of scrub brushes to get in all nooks and crannies, a good rinse and left to dry well


Then the fun begins, time to get painting. OFMP is so easy to mix, I added powder into a plastic container and then water and stir. I made mine a bit more liquidy for a more stain like quality but it mixed amazingly.



 to get a barn wood feel I used a dry brush technique in color layers drying between each coat.


 Once the top was complete I did the base but went a bit more white on it.



the 3 colors are perfect old wood colors achieving the look I was going for, don't you think?


To seal the piece so it was durable for lots of wear I first started with 2 coats of hand rubbed poly


followed by acriglaze


 and then the to give a vintage sheen to the now matte top I added a coat of Daddy Van's clear wax.


This goes on so smooth and easy, be sure to grab a good wax brush, mine is from Country Chic Paint as it makes it go even faster.


 and then it was finished!






*Disclosure
As a OFMP brand rep, I have received product in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains a sponsored link for Old Fashioned Milk Paint


Link Up Parties



Comments

  1. Love this! Your tutorial was inspiring and the end result is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty table!! Love how you layered colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies, I had fun trying to achieve my RH look ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I now know what I'm going to do with a drop leaf coffee table I've been using as a plant stand on my porch. Now I have to relocate my house plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I now know what I'm going to do with a drop leaf coffee table I've been using as a plant stand on my porch. Now I have to relocate my house plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This redo gave the table a more modern look. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you do this on cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure you could, any surface would be a great project

      Delete
  8. Can I paint over white chalk paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure, it just will be a lighter look to the barn wood effect

      Delete
  9. What is poly that you hand rubbed on the surface? I want to do this to my very loved (USED) dining room table. Thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used actiglaze, old fashioned milk paint sells it too ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Blessings, Shirley

      Delete
  10. I have the matching end tables to this table. I've been sitting and looking at them for a year. Now I know what I'm going to do. Thanks so much for the brilliant idea. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please share when you are done, would love to see them !

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous! Looks like a table you would buy from RH for a gazillian dollars. Off to read your tutorial again! :D Thanks for sharing, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I just finished reading one of your great tutorials to Cynthia!! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Tri SOdium Phosphate, a powdered cleaning solution you mix in the water for a deep clean

      Delete
  13. I love,love,love this. It looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where do you purchase the milk paint?

    ReplyDelete
  15. click the link above to the Old Fashioned MIlk paint site to find a retailer near you

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came across this today as I was lazily looking for something even though I did not know what. I think this is the solution for a display table I found at a yard sale for my Florida sea shells. I have been looking for a suitable finish to remind me of my island, sea oats and warm days in the sun walking along the edge of the shore idly looking for the sea's treasures. Now to collect the supplies and the hard part of sitting down to work and complete the project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment