Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Cedar Lined Armoire in Navy with Copper - lots of pics


When I purchased this solid armoire cabinet it did not take long to decide on a navy paint color. I also like the carved details on the front but thought the top and sides would look lovely stenciled with the hardware copper. Using Homestead House Milk PaintCutting Edge Stencils & Krylon spray paint I achieved my vision.


But first it needed a good cleaning starting with vacuum followed with a scrub with warm soapy water to remove any past gunk and dirt that would hamper paint adherence. The entire outside was lightly power sanded to smooth the wood surface then wiped well again.



Thank goodness for this heavy duty furniture dolly to move it around and also allow to be tipped on its back for the cleaning and sanding portions.

As well I was able to paint the underside and base areas with primer all around to seal.


Homestead House Milk Paint in midnight blue was mixed up and painted on



One coat was all that was needed to get good coverage over the original dark stained wood.

I wanted to add some fun to the piece but keep it subtle too. Cutting Edge Stencils has this super pretty stencil called lily scroll that I think will provide both. They also have great starter packages with a stencil level, foam roller and stencil brush to make the stenciling job so easy.


testing placement


applying the black paint with a sponge roller and stencil brush





I did both sides and the top, it is the prefect muted look I wanted


To seal the milk paint I chose hemp oil. It is great for dark colors and as you can see on both left pieces just how rich the color goes.


After it absorbs for about 15 minutes, wipe the excess off with a soft rag or shop towel.


However once it dried, the stencil seemed to fade so I got the supplies out again and added one more coat over the top and sides.



Now to address the hardware, I chose Krylon spray paint in copper. I kept the uniquely sized original hardware, scrubbed it well and once dry applied multiple coats, perfection!


For even more depth and dimension I hand waxed the entire piece with black wax.


Again the fancy dolly came in handy to lay it down for easier access.


Once dry, it was buffed and ready to be loved again












Linked up to these parties
Creative Inspirations
Fridays Furniture Fix
Farmhouse Friday

Comments