Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Cerused Coffee Table


Occasionally I rethink a project I have done and redo it in a new finish. This cute low coffee table that was painted grey with a sweet stencil had sat too long.


Seeing it was solid wood I thought it would be the perfect project to ceruse. What is cerusing wood you say?

"Back in the 1500's, the French invented a technique of filling in the grains in oak beams and paneling with a toxic paste derived from lead. This was initially done to help prevent rot in oak beams. ... Today that stylish finish is still called limed oak in Europe and here in the US we call it cerused wood or cerused oak." GoHaus.com

Start by sanding the finish off down to bare wood. I used my orbital sander and 40 grit since a few layers of paint




Next take a wire brush (yes this is a drill attachment I bought after watching a YouTube Video claiming it worked but it is far to harsh as per test board so I used manual like a brush) and going with the grain in long smooth strokes to open the pores and raise the grain. This took a bit of time to get to the desired look.


Once finished I brushed the top well to remove any bits of wood left before I applied a coat of Homestead House's new stain and finishing oil all in one in driftwood then left to dry overnight.



To achieve the ceruse color I applied Fusion Mineral Paint's newly released liming wax.



See the difference of liming wax on the right and driftwood stain alone on the left




One coat fully applied and wiped back



I added a final coat of liming wax and this is the final result










*Disclosure
I have received product as a brand blog rep in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains sponsored links for Fusion Mineral Paint & Homestead House Paint Co. to help you find the items I used easily. There is no monetary compensation to me, strictly added for your convenience ;)




Shared up here
Silver Penny Sundays
Creative Inspirations



Comments