For fifteen years, this front door has welcomed family, friends, deliveries, muddy paws, and every season Alberta has thrown our way. When we built our home, I spent an embarrassing amount of time debating the perfect color. I wanted something timeless yet unexpected—something that would stand out against the neutral exterior and make coming home feel a little more special.
That color was Evening Bag—a rich eggplant purple that felt elegant, warm, and just a touch bold. It served us well through countless memories, but after years of sun exposure, weather, and the occasional scratch courtesy of our four-legged family members, it was beginning to show its age. It was finally time for a fresh start.
In today's tutorial, I'm sharing how I transformed our tired front entry with a vibrant new shade, along with all the products, prep work, and painting tips that helped breathe new life into one of the hardest-working features of our home. Sometimes all it takes is a can of paint to make your house feel brand new again.


When we built our house 15 years ago, I thought long and hard about what color our front door should be. After collecting paint chips and second-guessing myself more times than I'd like to admit, I settled on a rich eggplant purple called Evening Bag. It was the perfect choice—classic, welcoming, and just bold enough to make a statement. Over the years, however, Alberta's sun, changing seasons, and a few scratches from curious pets slowly took their toll. The once-rich finish had faded, and the door was beginning to show its age. After fifteen years of faithfully greeting everyone who arrived at our home, I decided it was finally time for a color change and a fresh new chapter for our front entry.
A good cleaning was in order, I used our pressure washer to wash the door, sidelights and surrounding stucco.
Then the deck boards as well as the stairs for a fresh clean start. Extra cleaning was done onthe window glass and any areas that required a bit more "cleaning".
My favorite color is turquoise so this was what I went with for the new updated color. It is called oasis from the Dixie Belle silk mineral paint line. LOVE IT!
This is an all in one paint that has a built in top coat, perfect for this project.
An utility knife was used to cut out any excess oozed out product in the corners where needed.
The door handle was the last thing removed so as to paint the area.
Without the door knob to keep it closed, I painted the last bits fast as well as around the outer edges now that it was open. My trusty sidekick
Harley supervised my progress.
The paint on the glass easily scrapes off with a Razor scraper leaving a nice crisp edge.
video view of the paint scraping
One coat on about an hour later, very good coverage for one coat over a dark color too.
Two coats and it is complete.
The wooden spool to the right was given a makeover too. Tutorial coming soon.
For your convenience, I've included links to the Dixie Belle products I use. Please note that my affiliation with Dixie Belle doesn't increase your prices. Instead, your purchases through my links may provide a small subsidy that helps me continue creating and sharing these free tutorials. Thank you for your support! The Amazon affiliate links are for your convenience to see the products I used as well. Ordering via the links may get me a small commission but does not affect your pricing. Thank you if you do choose to order them.
FEATURED ON
Shared up at these link up parties
Comments
Post a Comment