Skip to main content

Blog Post Currently Featured on Hometalk

Roll Top Farmhouse Bread Box

I picked this roll top bread box up at a thrift store. It was definitely not in the best shape paint wise but I knew it would look amazing in a farmhouse style in warm whites.


It has great bones, a fun farmhouse roll top door as well has a bonus storage area in the top, for what I am not sure ;)

First step was to sand down the previously painted surface to remove most of the paint drips and smooth the surface.

Black spray paint in flat matte was sprayed on all the edges so when distressed the orange is not revealed but rather a classic black.

I applied Fusion Mineral Paint in the color plaster, a creamy color with my angled sash Zibra brush, perfect for the cut in areas and straight edges. I applied two coats letting dry well between each coat.


It was then minimally distressed  along all the edges to reveal the black underneath. To add a bit of whimsy I decided to stencil on the roll top but which one?





I chose this stencil #3 from Fusion as well and went with 

Miss Mustard Seed milk paint dining table in linen





A recent dining table purchase originally dark finished cried for some lighter colors, MMS milk paint in linen to the rescue. I thought it would give just the right amount old and new to this uniquely structured table. Check here for my cedar chest finished in linen.


but rethinking the smoothness of the surface and the tendencies of milk paint to resist, I put a coat of Fusion paint in casement on first for better adherence after scrubbing down.

 Sadly, dreaded oil marks appeared after a day through the casement ;(
 so spray shellac to the rescue

 time to start with the linen milk paint over entire table
milk paint will crackle but it seems there was only one area on the top, this did not make for a cohesive smooth top, in hindsight I should have stopped here and sanded down as smooth durable surface was my goal but I did not.. continue reading the extent of my determination and plan changes
 so out came the sander to smooth the top

but the base looked fantastic so I put on a couple coats of Miss Mustard Seed tough coat then aged the corners with dark wax.. I love it!

Back working on the top, I primed and repainted but crackling continues so another resand, prime and paint
but one end seems to have a mind of its own, again non cohesive so a new plan came to mind, another coat of tough coat then a dark brown color wash to blend it all together, this went on the whole table base and edges included

 again I liked the look but it was not the same throughout so yet another plan was hatched
a full dark brown paint job which looked awesome so I put on 3 more tough coats
 BUT when sponge sanded gently between last two coats the raised areas sanded off to look spotty!
get out the power sander but all the layers proved daunting taking a couple hours to get the one side down to bare wood
 3 stages
 time for the heavy hitter
 and even it took a few coats, check out the multitude of layers
 but here is it all gone
and the staining process underway. This is one of the longest projects with the most revamps but it is going to be worth it when done. After 72 hours drying time, I sealed the top with 3 coats of hand rubbed poly for a smooth durable top. The end result is a stunning combination with the linen milk paint.







*Disclosure
I have received product in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains a sponsored link for Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Linked up Parties