Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Find The Blue Fish Kids Table & Chair Set

 

I found the perfect place to put the newly released balance Dixie Belle transfer, this sweet little kids table and chair set.


This set was listed for free on a local buy sell site. It really needed a makeover and I was game to try. Once I picked it up I saw it was even more loved then I thought but my mantra is "give new life to old things" so I had to try.


I decided to start with the table. The top was not wood but rather a laminated foil that looked like wood. It had loads of tape and craft paint on it so first step was to remove all the wee bits of tape.


The table top was lightly and carefully power sanded to smooth any imperfections.


Starting with the underside I brushed on Dixie Belle Slick Stick as I wanted the paint to stick well to the laminated foil top.


Then it was flipped and the top and edges painted in it too.


After letting the first coat (above) dry for a couple hours a second coat was brushed on and left to dry 24 hours.


I chose the pretty bluey green serenity from the Dixie Belle silk mineral paint line and brushed on with a small flat Dixie Belle synthetic brush.


This is the first coat which was followed by a second coat a few hours later then again left to dry well overnight. I also smooth each coat including the slick stick with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge when each is dry to give a smooth surface.


This is the balance Dixie Belle transfer. I cut out the pieces I wanted and set them where I wanted them to be placed.


Remove the white backing and using the wooden stick rub the transfer in place (L) then lift the clear top sheet to reveal the transferred image. (R)


Continue adding and layering if desired till you have the look you want.

The transfers were sealed with Dixie Belle satin clear coat (DO NOT use the gatorhide shown in photo!!) applied with the Dixie Belle scarlet brush. Between the multiple coats again I lightly sand with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge. I applied 5 thin coats, the last 2 were applied with a damp Dixie Belle applicator sponge in a circular look of swirling water.


These coats will seal and provide a durable waterproof table top for kids.





I intentionally put just one blue and white fish in the school of koi for a bit of "where's Waldo" fun.


Moving on to the chair I removed the damaged  laminated foil. The top was easy and the seat was not.


The seat required my trusty razor to help coax it off. The seat was power sanded smooth and the rest given a light sanding.


The sticky felt pads were pried off and sanded smooth too.


The chair areas where there was the MDF was painted with white Dixie Belle BOSS. This too was done in two coats and left to dry 24 hours.


Then the serenity silk mineral paint was brushed on with a small oval Dixie Belle synthetic brush perfect to get in the narrow areas.


Two coats were painted on and the set is complete.



Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk




Take a video tour of this cutie







Comments

  1. Another perfect makeover! I can just see the little imaginations sitting at this time, and the wonder on their faces seeing these fish! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, I just got a picture of a little girl who is the new recipient of this sweet little table, so cute!

      Delete
  2. Lee Ann, this is gorgeous! I appreciate you sharing your beautiful work and tutorial with Sweet Tea & Friends this month, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That had to make your day receiving a picture of the little girl who received this piece. I know it would make me feel over the moon! Oh to be young again and the imagining that will happen at that small table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting personal pictures for sure!! And to be young again could be dangerous LOL

      Delete
  4. I love what you did with this table! The kiddies will have a great time with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment