Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Grey Toned White French Provincial Coffee Table

 


Solid wood coffee tables deserve updates to keep them in service. This French provincial beauty received a fresh new makeover in grey toned whites. It will be a look lovely addition to any living room.

My local pawn shop offered me this gorgeous wood table. I guess being in business over 10 years has its benefits in a small town. THANK YOU!


These pieces are so well built and have years of use yet to offer.....


To remove the thick factory finish I applied EZ Strip paint and varnish stripper


And scraped off with a metal scraper.


This video shows how satisfying it is to remove old finish


The stripper is neutralized with water. At the same time the entire coffee table was scrubbed clean. Then left to dry well after wiping with a towel to remove excess water.


The base was scuff sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge. This smooths the surface and gives the paint a bit more stick as the original finish is super smooth.


The top was power sanded smooth with my Festool rotex 90 going thru multiple grits to 180.


The top then had a coat of clear stain applied to seal the grain.


Back to the base, 2 coats of Dixie Belle Slick Stick to provide even further paint adhesion.


1 coat on ...


Then 2. These 2 coats dry 24 hours.


I have read lots that a green paint wash will take down red tones in wood. I watered down the new ivy green Dixie Belle Paint color. (L) Then brushed it on and wiped back. (R)

Once dry it was given a light sanding with the sanding sponge. This step is done after every dry paint step to keep the surface smooth.


The next layer will use au naturel Dixie Belle Voodoo Gel Stain, 2" mini Dixie Belle synthetic brush and a Fine Mist Spray Bottle.

 The natural Voodoo Gel Stain was squirted on, misted with water, brushed 


then wiped with a Dixie Belle applicator sponge. However once dry I was not a fan of this look at all. It was too green. Again it was lightly sanded.

Next plan was to apply magic white Dixie Belle Voodoo Gel Stain with the mister and wiping.(L) Once dry it was sanded. However the look was close but a few areas not to my standard.


Time for plan c or is it d?? Using the newly release smooth roller kit, oyster Dixie Belle silk mineral paint was rolled on. This is the first time using this grey hued white paint color.


The roller sure made it easy to go under the table edges easily and fast.


Here is the first coat of oyster on the table. The base was painted the oyster silk mineral paint.

Usually my shop dog Harley is with me but today I have our 14 year old cat Mr Jenkins keeping me company.


I was not a fan of the roller painted top. It was a bit to textured. A light sanding was done yet again before applying a 2nd coat. This time I used the Dixie Belle scarlet brush with a light misting of water for the perfect coat.


To give added durability to the top, Dixie Belle Gator Hide was mixed with a bit of the oyster silk paint. I applied it with Dixie Belle big daddy brush. This wide brush makes short work of the passes to minimize brush strokes as does the added paint. Two coats went on.


Using a Dixie Belle Artist Brush, grunge grey Dixie Belle's best dang wax was applied to the crevices to give definition.


grey wax demo video 


Above you can see right side with and left without the grey wax.


Some grey wax was applied to the top and edges too. The wax was buffed with a blue sponge too.


Another video to help you see my process.


The final step was another coat of  Gator Hide brushed on all surfaces with a 2" mini brush to seal it all up.


Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk



Such pretty legs!!






Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


Shared on these fun link up parties

Comments

  1. The table is beautifully finished! I only have one thing to say that doesn’t work for me and that’s the green paint. A high quality stain blocking wood primer is a better option for blocking the reds from coming through. I’ll actually have to read up about the green paint because I’ve never heard of that before, although, something in my head is telling me it might make sense.
    Anyway the finished product looks very much French provincial and you did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. I agree on the green paint. That was my first and last time trying. I was going with the green stain suggestion in order to keep a wood grain top but this did not work IMHO. Paint with built in primer was the answer for sure.

      Delete
  2. I really admire your DIY skills (I have zero in that department!) The table came out beautifully and I can really appreciate the work that went into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie for taking time to share such kind words!! It means allot

      Delete
  3. very nicely done I would love to do something like this myself some tme. Thanks for sharing come see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment