Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Solid Oak Nesting Tables Makeover

I am always excited to fulfill a customers vision when they custom call furniture I have sourced in my stock to paint inventory. A great customer has had me keep an eye out for nesting tables for a few years now. Finally I found a set which she loved and I was able to refinish them in her choice of colors.  Everyone has their own color pallet that makes them happy, this was hers. A soft smoky blue green, charcoal and a soft pink. All rich in pigment that pair nicely with the dark stained wood tops.  

Royal Purple Antique Press Back Chairs

 

I am a huge press back chair fan. The carved details and curvy legs are just so pretty. These 2 are a customers grandmothers'. She wanted them to be given a new color to bring them back to life and use in her heritage home.

Rich aubergine purple was her regal color choice and I think this color is classic yet whimsical as she loves bold options.


Grandma's accent table was dropped off with the 2 chairs. Be sure to check out that before and after tutorial. This color is part of it's makeover too.


Antique pieces usually need a repair or two. These chairs just needed a few leg braces glued and clamped square.


One even needed dried gunk scraped off the underside of a seat.


A deep scrub cleaning was up next. I use white lightning cleaner with a dash of Dawn in a water bucket. I like to use a scrub brush to get in all the nooks and crannies. They were then rinsed and dried.


When they were dry, the dinged and dented edges were power sanded smooth and wiped.


Aubergine Dixie Belle Paint was brushed on with a small round synthetic brush. This brush works well on the round surfaces.

I like to start chairs upside down to get all the undersides done first.


Once the chair is flipped the rest is paint. Here is one full coat on.


Two chairs, two coats all dry ready for the ageing step next.


Using a sanding block the edges were sanded to distress and bring out the carved details. Then a softer sanding sponge smoothed the entire chair. All the sanding dust was wiped off.

These steps add age to the paint makeover but to take it one step further brown, clear and a bit of black Dixie Belle's best dang wax was rubbed into the finish. This also seals the chalk paint and has a lovely sheen.


Sharing my waxing video


They are done and look perfectly aged purple.




Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk




Just look at those details.



These chairs look fabulous with the reloved antique table.






Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


Shared on these fun link up parties












Comments