Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Solid Oak Nesting Tables Makeover


I am always excited to fulfill a customers vision when they custom call furniture I have sourced in my stock to paint inventory. A great customer has had me keep an eye out for nesting tables for a few years now. Finally I found a set which she loved and I was able to refinish them in her choice of colors. 

Everyone has their own color pallet that makes them happy, this was hers. A soft smoky blue green, charcoal and a soft pink. All rich in pigment that pair nicely with the dark stained wood tops.

 


This solid oak set was offered to me in exchange for an antique oak bankers chair I had in stock. I am always open to a good trade deal.


The set needed a couple new screws to tighten things back up, a deep clean, sand and a good reloving.


Starting with a deep cleaning scrub with white lightning cleaner then rinsed well.


One of the tops looked like it was used as a cutting board!


My Festool rotex 90 sander to the rescue.


table sanding video


There was a crack and other deeper dings that needed light oak wood filler added. When dry all was sanded smooth.


Before sanding the tops


and after.


The customer who saw the tables posted in my stock to paint folder wanted pinks greens and greys so I showed her the above Dixie Belle silk mineral paint color options I thought might work with a dark stain. She chose the right trio.


The tops were removed to make staining and painting easier.


Before painting the bases they were scuff sanded with a sanding sponge. This gives the all in 1 paint better adhesion over an old finish. Wipe off the dust with a damp cloth.


This is the first coat of conch silk mineral paint going on. I start upside down to paint the underside of everything including the base "feet".


Flipped right side up and finished with black sands silk mineral paint going on the medium base.


After the first coat of paint dries it is normal to find areas revealed that need filling. I used the black mud. Using a color that matches the wood tone or paint makes it even more "invisible". When dry a light sanding with the sanding pad and all is ready for the 2nd coat of paint.


Now to work on the tops. The sanded smooth tops were laid out ready to stain on paint pyramids.


I love a nice dark stained oak, you? It is my favorite product for table tops - Fusion stain finishing oil. It goes on easily. Wipe off excess and allow to dry.


This is my stain application video


After the stain is dry, give a light sand with a sanding sponge.


While the first coat of stain dried, it was time to paint the final table base. Newly released smoky mountains Dixie Belle silk mineral paint went on starting upside down of course.


After the first coat is dry, lightly sand with a sanding sponge and paint a second coat on each color. 


I set the table tops on to send a progress photo to the customer. She was stoked!


These are the colors next to each other.


She loved the colors together - richly pigmented.


Again I showed the stained top with the combo.


A couple more stain coats were applied to get an even richer dark oak color. This product has a built in top coat so this makes it even easier and is so durable!


The table tops were screwed back in place.


And this nesting set was complete!



Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


3 solid wood tables ready to serve for many more years.











Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


Shared on these fun link up parties






















Comments

  1. Lovely transformation. Love that the tops were left stained to show the beautiful wood grain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love to keep pretty wood grain where I can :)

      Delete

Post a Comment