Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Antique Secretary Desk in Lamp White





A great customer brought me her paternal grandmother's secretary desk. It is deeply sentimental but she wanted to update the color to fit in her mainly white home.

It was in very good condition requiring just a good wipe with simple green cleaner and a wet cloth to be sure nothing interfered with the paint adhesion after the hardware was removed. There was a water ring on the top that was sanded smooth then shellac sprayed with Zinsser Bull’s Eye spray shellac to seal the area. A few repairs were made including brad nailing the back securely on and a few wood filler areas added.


Fusion Mineral Paint in lamp white was chosen, it is a white with grey undertones. (above shows coat #2 going over the first coat)


I applied 2 coats and found odd red dot bleeding thru, hello Zinsser Bull’s Eye spray shellac. This blocks all bleed thru so once sprayed on and left to dry I was then able to add a final coat of lamp white.

To add some definition, the edges were distressed minimally and had Homestead House salad bowl finish rubbed on them to seal and deepen the wood color, Fusion Mineral Paint black wax was added to the crevices, edges and  around the hardware to look aged rather then freshly painted.

Fusion Mineral Paint clear wax was rubbed on the desk top and the shelf top to give added durability for treasures to be displayed.

The inside was wiped with hemp oil to rehydrate the wood and add some shine.

The hardware was cleaned with metal polish bringing the sparkle back and replaced.


and here it is finished




Oh and I painted the edges of the built in shelves lamp white too for a fun surprise when opened.



Needless to say the customer was very happy with the update and Grandma's desk has many more years of service and memories in store.


FEATURED

Farmhouse Friday

Shared at
Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations
Farmhouse Friday

Comments