Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Translucent Garden Jewelry Box

 

This sweet jewelry box was brought in for a custom makeover for a sweet granddaughters birthday. The only requests were a soft purple color and some pretty designs. I hope the little girl likes my choices. :)



I believe the jewelry box was handed down from a great grandparent to the grandma who is getting the relove done as a gift. Isn't that sweet?


The door plastic glass and hardware was removed and everything cleaned well.


It is very common for old lining to have lifted. To fix I use and offset spatula and apply glue under any lifted areas.


Then all is clamped down in place with a piece of wood to keep everything flat and flush.


Originally the granddaughter saw this jewelry box makeover and loved it. It was done in the soft green shown on the right but she thought it looked purple and loves purple. I showed both colors together to let the grandma decide. She chose the soft purple on the left.


To be sure the surfaces are free of old finish, make the surface more adherent to paint and smooth any dings and bangs, the whole jewelry box was sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge. All sanding dust was wiped clean ready for the color step.


Morning sunrise; the soft lavender Dixie Belle silk mineral paint was brushed on with a small flat Dixie Belle synthetic brush. This size is perfect for small projects.


I used an even smaller and more precise Dixie Belle Artist Brushes for the tight corners.


The graphics I chose were from the translucent garden Dixie Belle transfer. Such relaxing soft pastel colors.



Two coats of the morning sunrise were applied. I also like to do the underside for a professional finish.


As well as the back of the jewelry box. This allows it to be seen from all sides and look finished.


To keep the silk paint super smooth I give a light sanding with a clean sanding sponge after each coat. The edges were also lightly distressed to keep an aged vibe.


It is now time to apply the pretty transfers. I started with the dragonfly on the top. The blues in it match the blue lining inside the jewelry box. Once you choose where each goes, remove white backing and rub into place.


Remove the clear top paper and continue adding graphics.


The transfers can be layered to get your desired look.


The transfers need to be sealed to keep them smooth to the surface. I used the lovely matte Dixie Belle Terra Seal applied with a Dixie Belle premium chip brush. A few coats went on in total on all the graphics.


To bring out the carved details on the drawer fronts, brown Dixie Belle's best dang wax was rubbed in then buffed off. Perfect. The hardware was put back on.


We hoped to keep the original "glass" as it had a pretty gold design similar to the drawer front carvings but the plastic had turned color over the years. The coloring just did not work with the soft fresh purple paint.


To be sure paint would adhere to this slippery plastic, Dixie Belle Slick Stick was brushed on using yet another premium chip brush. These brushes are so handy to have as they are perfect for so many little tasks. Two coats and let dry 24 hours.


Then paint with the pretty purple in 2 coats as well.


Much better but it needs to be made pretty too.


It was secured in place.


Then the inside of the glass was done the exact same way as the front. This gives a nice finished feel.


More floral transfers were added and sealed like the others.


It is now ready to be filled with treasures.



Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk



Enjoy Kenlee!


A video tour for you to enjoy.


Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON

Shared up at these fun parties

Comments

  1. Thank you for linking to SSPS and I have tweeted for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another perfect makeover Lee Ann! I bet she loved it when she received it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment