Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Flowers For A Cause Tray - Cancer Fundraiser

 

This plain balsawood tray was the perfect project to beautify for my fall cancer fundraiser. This gorgeous Dixie Belle rice decoupage paper called Flowers For A Cause. It is part of their breast cancer charity event. It is such a pretty paper and worthwhile cause. I am raffling it off on my Facebook page with all the money being donated to the Canadian Cancer Society.


The lightweight wood tray originally held charcuterie goodies gifted to my in-laws. They gave it back empty to repurpose. The gift that keeps on giving.


Just look at this beautiful decoupage paper!! 


It is limited edition available from Dixie Belle Paint retailers only.


I chose to do the tray in a neutral au natural Dixie Belle Voodoo Gel Stain.


First I misted water the porous wood with my Fine Mist Spray Bottle. This step help the Voodoo Gel Stain go on smoother and absorb into the grain. I applied the stain with a fav 2" flat Dixie Belle synthetic brush. You can mist the brush bristles as well.

Above right is the bottom side of the tray once the stain dried and was coated with clear coat (that step coming later in tutorial)


The mister was used on the tray center as well.

The Dixie Belle scarlet brush was perfect to apply a coat of endless shore Dixie Belle silk mineral paint. This warm white color is the perfect color to have behind the paper to keep the pretty details clear.


It helps to get the paint on fast and with fairly straight edges. Don't look too close on mine as my reading glasses were not on my head at time of painting :)


Once all is dry, all sides were lightly sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge. This keeps the surfaces smooth and ready for more coats.


The full sheet of rice paper almost fit the tray bottom perfectly. A wee bit of the edges did need to come off. I like to use an exacto knife, metal ruler and scrap piece of hardboard to cut on.


It dry fit perfectly. I like neutral classic colors but pondered adding this new cottage door Dixie Belle Paint color to the tray.


To seal the steps so far, Dixie Belle flat clear coat was applied on all surfaces with a synthetic brush. The entire underside was done earlier as shown above aways back.


The backside of the rice paper was misted with the handy misting bottle. This gives the paper more time to move without sticking.


A fresh coat of clear coat was put on the tray center. The paper was put in place with another coat of clear brushed over it. A second coat was brushed on later in the day.

The following day a couple coats of Dixie Belle Gator Hide were brushed on all sides. This formula is more water repellant and durable for surfaces that get more use. A tray just might need this.

A poll on my Facebook page was split but had a few more votes to add the color. Cottage door, a soft coral was added to the top edge. You can see above with an without. Which was your preference?


The flowers on the paper looked vintage to me. Wanting to give the whole tray an aged vibe, brown Dixie Belle's best dang wax was added. I started with a small Dixie Belle Artist Brush around the edges. I then pulled out my dedicated brown wax Dixie Belle French tip brush to use on the wider edges.


This is the final look.


Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk




video tour




Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON



Hometalk Dec 26, 2023

Shared on these fun link up parties




Comments

  1. What a beautiful tray for a wonderful cause! I'm featuring you this week at the #HomeMattersParty. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allyson, that means allot. Thanks for hosting your weekly link up party as well.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful Lee Ann! I love the paper, and what a great way to support cancer research. Thanks for the DIY inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cottage Door just made the flowers just pop off the paper. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I too love the pop of color to enhance the flowers

      Delete

Post a Comment