Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Modern Farmhouse or Coastal Beach Vibe Dining Table

 

Modern farmhouse? or coastal beachy? What ever your vibe is, this solid wood dining table will be the perfect addition to your home. 


It has been given a fresh new look compared to the original dark green and clear coated top.


The table also came with 4 chairs in the same color scheme. I immediately envisioned the crisp white look for the table. The chairs I gave away to a family in need.


The factory finish was the perfect challenge for my new Festool sander purchase. The rotex mode ripped right thru the thick clear coat like butter with 60 grit paper.


I also purchased the Festool CT15 dust collector in the background which made the job so much less messy. It took about half an hour and the top was completely removed.


I moved on to 80 grit then 120 in the sanders orbital mode.


Wiping the surface with mineral spirits will show where residual finish lies in the wood grain. So I went back thru the grit order to be sure all was removed.


And I went over the top with 180 grit as the final sand. The sanding steps took awhile to go thru to be sure the finish was removed and smooth.


The top was then stained with picklin' white No Pain Gel Stain. Wipe on, wipe off.


The rest of the table was cleaned well with Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner. A second wipe with clean water was done to be extra clean.


It looks black but is actually dark green. I like using my painters pyramids to keep up off ground to paint easily.


The green finish is super shiny and smooth so to be sure the paint adheres well Dixie Belle Slick Stick was brushed on. Above is the first coat. Awhile later a second coat went on and then left to dry for 24 hours. Once dry a light sanding was done to smooth the slick stick using a Dixie Belle sanding sponge.


I chose salt water Dixie Belle silk mineral paint for the fresh crisp white base color. I applied it with my favorite angled 2"  Dixie Belle synthetic brush. It is the perfect size and shape to get straight along the underside and around the legs.

After each coat, again I used a  sanding sponge to keep the paint surface smooth.

Three coats of Gel Stain were applied and allowed to dry overnight, sanded smooth with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge after each coat was dry. This gives a super smooth surface and allows the butcher block grain to show beautifully.


 After each coat of slick stick and paint I used my Richard Tools small carbide scraper on the underside of the table to keep the edges looking immaculate and professional. 2 coats of the salt water silk mineral paint were all that was needed seeing there was 2 coats of white slick stick as well on the base.


Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk



Similar tables on Wayfair sell for $1000 and $2000 CND !! Someone is going to get an amazing one of a kind solid wood table for a fraction of the price. It is currently available.




see it live :)







Comments

  1. I love how this table turned out. I am betting the other tables you mentioned are not solid wood either. So hard to find these days when shopping online. I love those vintage pieces made over any day of the week over a new one. Thank you for sharing with Whimsy Home Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I agree.. most furniture these days is not solid wood. I too love reloved pieces :)

      Delete
  2. Love this makeover Lee Ann, thank you for sharing with Whimsy Home Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment