Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Modern yet Rustic Nightstand

 

I took a dated 80's solid pine nightstand and gave it a new look. The base was cut in a modern shape and new cup hardware added. The paint color was done in a rustic shades of grey finish. I think it has a nice juxstposition of old and new to create new life for the piece.


After a good vacuuming and hardware removed, the night stand was scrubbed. I like to use Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner in a bucket of warm water with a scrub brush. This gives a deep clean. Then rinse with my hose.


Seems a wood knot popped out. Easy to fill with Dixie Belle mud.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


My initial plan was to sand to bare wood and possibly clear coat. To test this I power sanded the front edge down to bare wood. The knotty pine did not have mean feeling this look anymore.


The Dixie Belle mud was also used to fill the top and side grooves.


When dry, the grooves were sanded flush with my Festool Rotex 90.


My handy helper used a jigsaw to cut the front edge. I had measured out a new look in pencil for him to follow.


The new squared edge looks more modern.


I sealed the sanded edge with Dixie Belle Gator Hide. This keeps the wood surfaces accepting paint the same.


The nightstand was painted a coat of fluff Dixie Belle Paint.


Manatee grey Dixie Belle Paint was dry brushed on when fluff had dried.


There were a few areas that needed a bit more white mud. I love my offset metal spatula for this task.


Another coat of fluff paint was brushed on with a bit of water applied via Fine Mist Spray Bottle to get a nice coverage and blend.


This is the end look.


I did a test of grunge Dixie Belle Glaze on a drawer front and liked.


The grunge Glaze was brushed on one side at a time. 


Using blue shop towel I wiped it off leaving a unique look. This step was left to dry well overnight.


To add further dimension, black Dixie Belle's best dang wax was brushed along all the edges. I use a dedicated Dixie Belle premium chip brush for each wax color.


These antique iron cup pulls from D Lawless Hardware are perfect update for the hardware on this piece don't you think? I love that they are dual mountable for 2 different sizes. It makes them even handier to have on hand to add new hardware to an old piece.


As a nightstand it may be well used on the top. I added a couple coats of Dixie Belle Terra Seal. I am a fan of the matte finish. It was applied with a Dixie Belle scarlet brush.


And the last step was to hand rubbed clear best dang wax on the top after the seal was good and dry. This adds another layer of durability and gives a soft near matte sheen.


This finish was called for an entire bedroom suite!!



Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON

Hometalk Sept 12, 2023

Shared up at these link up parties

Comments

  1. Awesome, thank you I have sent social links to You :) Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great LeeAnn, doesn't even resemble the older outdated version now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VSG!! I too love the new look. Making old new again is my motto :)

      Delete
  3. Hi LeeAnn! I would love to save this to my Pinterest I aspiration board but I still can't find how. There is no P anywhere. Help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl. I know on my page I get the save to Pinterest but I added that on my browser as an add on. You could save directly from my Pinterest page I think https://www.pinterest.ca/lakuhn/creative-moments/, it is also linked on left hand side too under find me on social media :)

      Delete

Post a Comment