Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Distressed Damask Dresser

 

Does this reloved dresser look anything like the original? It went thru many changes to get where it is above. That is part of the fun using different products and colors on a project.

This piece was way more damaged then the sale photo looked. I should have declined when I saw the state it was in when I picked up but I can never seem to say no to a forlorn piece.


It was in even worse shape once I got it home and examined it. There were missing parts, damaged veneer, stickers and marker scribbles, missing pulls, a hole in the backboard, drawer were stained and it was in need of a deep clean.


Have a look for yourself with this video view.


The dresser was built with a solid wood frame, top and drawer fronts but wood veneer over pressboard sides. It is usual to see damaged corners and chipped veneer on the edges on well used pieces.

After the dresser was vacuumed out and wiped well, Dixie Belle mud was added to the chipped edges.


Of course many come with bonus stickers. I like a razor to get most off then spray orange oil for the glue residue. Then the drawers were scrubbed clean inside and out too.


I keep spare pieces just for projects like this. I happened to have a plastic drawer corner guide in my stash. It was securely added to the missing spot.


I also happened to have some plastic feet slides that were missing too.


I started the project out with a plan to add texture to the dresser seeing there was many dings and scratches. I stippled on blue agave Dixie Belle Terra Clay Paint with a round Dixie Belle synthetic brush solid over the drawer fronts.


Then brushed the excess over the sides and top for some texture.


While the drawers dried it was back to repairs. The front kick plate had a broken fastener. I cut a solid piece of wood, 


glued in place and secured with clamps till dry.


The same was done to the back edge. Once the clamps were removed the next day, a new plastic foot was put on.


A big crack in the dresser hardboard backing was filled with mud on repair day and now was sanded smooth.


The backing was painted a couple coats of serenity Dixie Belle silk mineral paint.


This same soft greeny blue serenity was stippled over the blue agave. I painted one dresser front solid serenity but then added more stippled blue agave over. Paint color plans change sometimes as you go. As you will see happens a few more times yet. :)


The entire body was painted solid serenity Dixie Belle silk mineral paint. A round synthetic brush was used seeing I was using it on the drawer fronts.


My vision for the body was this pretty distressed damask Dixie Belle rice decoupage paper. To apply it, I used Dixie Belle flat clear coat brushed on with a Dixie Belle chip brush. Brush on generously.


Then smooth the paper down as you go. I used the Dixie Belle Thingamagig to push air bubbles as I went too. Then brush a coat OVER the rice paper once smooth.

Here is a video view of the Dixie Belle flat clear coat application.


Along the edges where excess hangs over, I lightly score the edges with a used sandpaper pad. 


It does work easier to let dry and use a Dixie Belle sanding sponge as shown in this video.


The paper was almost the perfect length but I did cut a piece to add all around the bottom edges. Once all the rice decoupage paper was in place it was left to dry well.


I found 4 vintage pulls in my stash as well. However 3 were shiny brass and 1 an aged look.


Neither really matched the distressed damask vibe.


After they were scrubbed clean and dried well, they were sprayed with flat iron spray paint.


The drawer bottoms needed attention next. Using my handy Dyson hand vac the edges were cleaned yet another time. The bottoms were painted serenity Dixie Belle silk mineral paint using a 2" synthetic brush that makes it easy to cut in the edges perfectly. This gave them a fresh new, easy to wipe look.


This was the progress so far but I was not loving it.


The stippled colors were to "bright" to go with the paper. I added moon beam Dixie Belle Terra Clay Paint over with a damp Dixie Belle applicator sponge for a soft cloud like look.


It looked much more unified but ??


Adding the pulls might help.


A poll on my Facebook page had a mixed opinion.


Solid color drawer front had the most votes so once again the fronts were painted serenity silk mineral paint. But it seemed not right still.


Stormy seas Dixie Belle silk mineral paint was suggested as a great match for this rice paper. Once the fronts were painted in it and set in I was much happier.


The front edges were painted in stormy seas as well.

Then a couple more coats of Dixie Belle flat clear coat were brushed on the dresser top for added durability.


The hardware was secured in place.


And it was hauled inside to stage.



There were allot of changes as the project progressed but that is the wonderful part about paint.



Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON

Shared at these great link up parties





Comments

  1. What a lovely transformation!! You chose such a pretty blue color to pair with the damask. Thanks so much for sharing at Home Imagined this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. And for hosting a fun link up party too :)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, your kind words are very much appreciated

      Delete

Post a Comment