Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Cabinet Color Update - Teal of Course


Color can make a huge difference. This custom painted cabinet went from ho-hum to va-voom with this gorgeous teal paint color.


This little cabinet was the perfect size and shape for the customers entry way. She just wanted it to be a fun bold statement piece when people entered her home. Paint is the perfect way to update a piece.


The first step was to scrape candle wax off the back. Then it was cleaned well with Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner in a spray bottle and a rag. It was then wiped with clean water and dried well.


The top had some damaged areas that needed repairing.


My handy orbital sander smoothed the indented areas flush. A couple other spots were done as well.


The frame of the cabinet was wood, the rest was MDF board. Wood knots are notorious for bleeding. I sealed these spots with a multiple coats of spray shellac to prevent it from happening again.


The factory finished surface was super smooth. To give a good base for the paint, 2 coats of Dixie Belle Slick Stick were applied. These coats were about 2 hours apart then left for 24 hours to dry well.


After each coat I gave the surface a light sanding with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge. This keeps the smooth surface look and feel.


Now for the fun color. Antebellum blue Dixie Belle Paint was brushed on with a 2" angled Dixie Belle synthetic brush. I like to lay the piece on its back to start with the inside edges and surfaces.


You can also see that the construction is MDF on pieces if you look on the underside of the piece. I like to paint the under edges of the pieces as well for a nice finished look.


The first coat will look a bit see thru with a dark color over the white slick stick. In the crevices I touched up areas with one of the angled Dixie Belle Artist Brushes.


The second coat is perfect! The customer wanted to keep a fresh, crisp modern look. This color look beautiful with brown wax added for an aged look too.


The 3 flat surfaces were given 2 coats of Dixie Belle flat clear coat. This adds durability to the surface. The 2 shelves have baskets which will wear paint over time and the top of course has stuff set on it. To give a bit of sheen and wipe-ability I added a coat of clear Dixie Belle's best dang wax. This was buffed and the piece was ready to get back to its home.




Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk




This is back in the customer's home!


Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON



Shared on these fun link up parties




















Comments

  1. Such a fun pop of color! I'm always a fan of a blue painted piece :) Thanks for sharing at the Home Imagined Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. blue is my fav pop as well :) Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for featuring my cabinet makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a big improvement your teal color update was to this cabinet. What a great job. Saw it at Inlinkz-283-senior-salon-pit-stop. My shares this time are #26 through 29. Warm regards, Nancy Andres @ Colors 4 Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Nancy. I best go have a look at your posts

      Delete

Post a Comment