Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Fusion Gel Stained Dining Table


I love a good updated dining table and here is my latest creation. You can see many more on this refinished dining tables tutorial search.


Round pedestal tables are always asked for but not as readily found in my area. I contacted one of my customers on the waiting list for one and she was very excited I had found one.



And it has an 18" leaf that makes it oval and adds more seating when needed, perfect.


The table top had been previously refinished by the former owners and in their sanding step they left many sand paper swirls.

 Luckily I was trying a new product from Fusion; a gel stain in ebony and double espresso that will cover and blend them in and it can be used of existing finishes.

First step is to lightly sand the table top surface and clean the whole table well.

Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me



First I put a coat of the double espresso on with a blue shop towel and let dry over night. The next day I used a 2” chip brush and applied a coat of the black gel stain.


Here it is on on side.



And again let it dry overnight.


Here it is with the leaf dried.



I did end up with little bubbles dried on the surface.


To remove them I used my trusty razor scraper to carefully scrape them off then lightly sand with a fine grit sanding sponge.


I tried filling areas that were wee divots but suggest DO NOT DO THIS. :)


Another coat of black gel stain brushed on was the answer.


Three coats of black gel stain were applied in total and once dry I hand rubbed black wax over it for a more rustic sheen.


Now to pretty up the pedestal base. Fusion Mineral Paint in sterling was the color of choice. It is a soft grey white. I like to start with the pedestal upside down so all the underside is painted easily ...


before flipping right side up.


The table apron is then set on to be painted the sterling as well. Two coats were brushed on using Fusion's 2" angled brush.


Once the two coats were dry it was time to bring out the details more.


Fusion Mineral Paint's wax in espresso was brushed into the crevices. See above on the bottom grooves and the rest yet to be waxed.


and above all dark waxed.


All waxed and ready for staging.

























email April 18/2020
Apr 23/20

Shared at these link up Parties

Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations
All About Home

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Love the dark and light color contrast. Going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      I hope your project turned out

      Delete
  3. How does the stain hold up to heat or water?
    We bought a brand new table from the brick just over two years ago and you can set a coffee down without a heat mark or have a drip of water without a water stain.
    Looking to refinish with something more durable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      I always suggest place mats or coasters on any wood surface, heat and moisture do not bode well for most finishes even professionally done.

      Delete
  4. TaraLyn1178@aolJune 25, 2022 10:19 AM

    Your table turned out amazing! I have this exact table that I am doing the same DIY on. But….a big BUT someone misplaced the screws (?) that hold the table base to the top. My any slim chance can you show/measurements/tell me what is used to hold the two pieces together??? TYIA you would be my lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I wish I could answer that but the table sold but you can find replacement screw at any hardware store .. I am guessing fine thread 3" long but your hardware store might let you try a few to see

      Delete
  5. How do you keep the black wax on top to keep from rubbing off on things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once cured it should hold up not to bad but indeed with time and wear it could be reapplied in the future depending on the amount of rubbing

      Delete

Post a Comment