Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Dried Orange Decorations Epic Fail

 Back in the day, when I was young :) making Christmas decorations was common place. Popcorn was strung to make garland, candy canes were hung on the tree sometimes with little eyes and pipe cleaner antlers, paper snowflakes and dried oranges were also adorning the festive tree. It seems fancy store bought decorations then became popular also with endless aisles of ribbons, tinsels and bows. This l Christmas hand made decor is uber popular with dried oranges trending high up there. I had to revive my childhood and get creating.


The large navel oranges were sliced thinly.


Arranged on a cookie sheet and put in a 200 degree oven for 4 hours. However part way thru I needed to cook a pizza for supper so removed them to the counter, cooked the pizza, turned the temperature back to 200 and slid them in for the remaining time. DO NOT DO THAT :)


The oven needed to return to the low 200 before putting them in as this is the result. EPIC FAIL!!


This was NOT the look I was going for tee hee


But I did manage to salvage some. I hope my failure lesson prevents others from trying to multitask and create.


The salvaged ones did darken in the pulp area over the next few weeks so for sure watch them even in a 200 degree oven after 3 plus hours and take out a bit before desired color.

Check out my hand crafted rustic peppermint sticks made from posts and repurposed candle jar gifts. Please comment below if you remember other hand crafts Christmas decor.


Shared at these link up parties

Comments

  1. I tried drying oranges this year too and also had an epic fail. I had the oven on at 175℉ for several hours and they were still soggy so 200℉ it will be my next attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 200 for 3 plus hours would be perfect... do not interrupt this temp though LOL

      Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  2. Haha - I'm so glad I'm not alone in the epic fail department! You did a great salvaging job though, and your tree is lovely! Thanks so much for sharing ALL the process! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA not everything is perfect in the real world is it? :) thanks for your kind words

      Delete

Post a Comment