Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Latin Floral Maple Dresser

 

This maple beauty has been given an extreme makeover. It might look fairly vanilla from this view but wait till you see the sides!


This maple 3 drawer chest was picked up from the local pawn shop. It is the perfect size for so many spots and being maple I know the wood grain will be so pretty.


The first step is to make any repairs needed; This dresser had a bit of the maple veneer lifting on one lower edge so it was reglued, clamped and left to dry overnight.


The front kickplate needed a modern update so I had my in house handyman assist me on this part. We marked straight lines to square it off and set up a piece of wood for a straight edge for the saw to run on.


cutting the base action video


He carefully maneuvered the skill saw along the front edge then we moved the guide and he cut up from the bottom edge.


The final step was using a hand saw to carefully cut the corners square. THANK YOU handyman!


The veneer repair and few other areas were filled with Dixie Belle mud and when dry power sanded smooth along with the freshly cut front edge making all flush and smooth.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


I wanted to keep the solid maple top and drawer fronts natural grain wood so used applied EZ Strip paint and varnish stripper with a Dixie Belle chip brush after a good shake to mix it up in the jug.

Other tutorials using EZ Strip have some videos as well.


After brushing a nice thick layer on let it sit; time depends on the piece. This factory finish took about an hour then using a metal scraper it was removed into a recycled cereal bag and discarded.


Once the finish is scraped off, water and a scrub brush will get any areas left and neutralize the stripping product. Scrub with clean water till no color rinses off and allow to dry well. 


All was hauled outside to power sand smooth supervised by my assistant Harley.


All sanded surfaces were then hand sanded with a fine RAD pad by SurfPrep.


The drawers were set in place to see the progress.


The square base is subtle but much more modern looking. 


Once all was hauled back into my workshop I decided on treatment for the sides coming down to these two options? Dixie Belle rice decoupage paper or a pretty Dixie Belle transfer?


To be sure the silk paint would have the best adherence to the maple the body was sanded with a fine RAD pad by SurfPrep then damp wiped to remove any dust.


Initially I thought light green for the body with plans to use the fun Latin floral Dixie Belle transfer but I am a classic neutral color lover for larger furniture pieces so chose a warm white called sun kissed in the Dixie Belle silk mineral paint line brushed on with a Dixie Belle scarlet brush for a smooth finish.


Two coats were brushed on over the next day.


To keep the natural wood color on the solid maple top and drawer fronts I sealed them with Dixie Belle Howdy Do Hemp Oil applied with a Dixie Belle applicator pad.

Apply as many coats as it takes to absorb into the wood. I did 3 one this piece.


I set the drawers in to see the new look and love it. The entire dresser was left to dry for a full day plus to prepare for the next step.


Now to apply the Latin floral Dixie Belle transfer. It is such a pretty fun design. Choose the location, peel off the backing and place firmly in desired area, rub with the included stick to release the transfer onto the painted surface.



Burnish it in place with a clean Dixie Belle finishing pad.


Match up the next sheet and repeat. 

TIP: move the backing down a few inches and keep in place while positioning to prevent any of the transfer from accidentally sticking.

I did the same on the other side of the dresser and about 5 days later sealed the transfers with a couple coats of Dixie Belle flat clear coat.



Another way to update a vintage piece is new hardware. I love D Lawless Hardware as they have so many options to choose from. One of my favorite updates is this simple classic cup pull  shown on the left. It has 2 sets of holes on the back making it even more versatile.

New satin nickel knobs were added to the top drawer shown above right.


I adore this makeover. I hope some lucky person appreciates the makeover as much as I do.


The sides are such a fun burst of color and design.


And the square kick plate really adds a modern touch.


The new hardware and gorgeous wood grain top it all off.





Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


To Grandmas House We Go


Hometalk
October 8, 2022

Morning Cup of Joe

Shared up at these fun parties
Thursday's Favorite Things

Comments

  1. Such a fun looking dresser! I always enjoy seeing what piece of furniture you are working on. I love the fresh modern look you gave to the dresser and the transfer is so pretty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness-- that is like a completely different dresser! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope don’t like it at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you feel that way but understand we all have different tastes :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Natasha for your kind words :)

      Delete
  5. So pretty! Thanks for sharing on Crafty Creators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the kind words and hosting the party :)

      Delete
  6. That's a funny looking 'Thrift store tea box'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where it said that but I did do a thrift store tea box recently :)
      https://creativemoments10.blogspot.com/2022/08/butterfly-and-floral-tea-chest.html

      Delete
  7. Your hard work paid off, the dresser is beautiful! Love the pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie :) Appreciate the kind words allot

      Delete
    2. Every piece is so well done.They will be admired by all that see them.

      Delete

Post a Comment