Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Custom Painted Antique Dresser in Black & White



One of my great customers has a young daughter who loves design, decor and painting and she is just 13. Back when she was 12 she with her Grandpa's guidance stripped and sanded down this antique dresser which belonged to her mom;s Grandma. She saw my recent antique dresser in black and white and asked her mom to have me do the same to her project. When it arrived I was amazed at the excellent job she did stripping and sanding the piece to the gorgeous raw wood. Well done miss J.


To start, I put Homestead House's stain and finishing oil all in one in ebony on the top; eventually putting 5 coats on, letting each one dry 12 hours or overnight and lightly sanding between coats. Thin even coats dry better but I went with 5 on this to help hide an old stain that could not be scrubbed or sanded off the top.


This bare wood was the perfect recipient for milk paint. Milk paint adheres to raw wood so well and when sanded it is smooth as butter. I chose Miss Mustard Seed's new color called farmhouse white for the base. I went with 3 coats of this pretty white using my new Cling On shorty brush. They dried quite quickly with a quick sponge sand before putting on the next coat.



Once the last coat was dry, I sponge sanded all the milk paint with more natural distressing on the edges.

This young girl also wanted a stencil on the door so that was my next step. I chose Fusion Mineral Paint's Ash, a dark grey for the paint color. I think it turned out perfect for the piece. Once it was good and dry a lightly distressed it to in keeping with the antique look.



Now for the work out portion, waxing. As hard and time consuming waxing is, I feel it is the perfect look over milk paint on these antique pieces. It has a soft sheen and vintage look and well worth the work. I was all out of Fusion wax so used Daddy Vans clear lavender scented wax. It has such a pretty scent to enjoy while working. Once the wax set up I buffed it ready for new hardware.

For the hardware, I was excited they agreed to go with sparkly depression glass knobs I had from a 1920's dresser. They just add that extra little bit, like a statement necklace on a little black dress ;)




The aged center stems were lightly sanded to remove rust then spray painted a matte black.


The last step was to add Homestead House black wax to age and add dimension.















FEATURED ON





*Disclosure
This post contains links for Homestead House
Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Daddy Vans  to help you find the items I used easily. There is no monetary compensation to me , they are just added for your convenience ;)
  
Linked Up to these Parties
Friday's Furniture Fix
Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations

Comments