Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Stenciled Growth Ruler


Wooden growth rulers are the bomb! I used a wide piece of door trim as my girls grew up that we took as we moved. Why did I not think to create a pretty hand painted one for our home back then? In the last 5 years of Creative Moments existence I have hand painted at least 50 of them. They are the perfect baby gift, house warming gift or family basic and can come in any color combination with limitless customization.


I allow my customers to choose any font style and size which is printed out and traced onto the custom painted or stained "ruler". Then the hand painting begins. It is more time consuming then the vinyl sticker varieties available but I feel it gives a more hand crafted feel. I also cannot in good conscience buy the vinyl machine, vinyl paper then throw away all the excess with each design. That is just the reduce reuse repurpose philosophy instilled in me growing up. ;)




  . Stencils are reusable and in a general sense hand painted right? So I decided to give this one a try.



Ok maybe I ordered a few ;) watch for the others to be used in the future

The solid wood 6 foot board was stained using Homestead House's new white stain and finishing oil all in one. I sponge sanded between and after 2 coats for the perfect white washed look.


The stencil was laid along the edge of the board with Fusion Mineral Paint  in midnight blue rubbed on in circular motions with a stencil brush. NOTE - Be sure to wipe most of the paint off on a paper towel before swirling over the stencil.


Carefully lift the stencil straight up and there you have it. Because it was Fusion Mineral Paint, an all in one paint, there is no need to add a coat of sealer but you sure could for added durability. This gives another look for my line of growth rulers, a retro school ruler look!




*Disclosure
I have received product as a brand blog rep in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains links for Fusion Mineral PaintMuddaritaville Studio & Homestead House Paint Co. to help you find the items I used easily. There is no monetary compensation to me, they are just added for your convenience ;)

Linked to these parties
Happiness Is Homemade
Friday's Furniture Fix

Comments