Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

IOD transfer wall art ~ faux mercury glass with Fusion Ash & Raw Silk


Have you heard of IOD - Iron Orchid Désigns and their highly trending transfers? As well as all the rage molds, design stamps and more in the crafting world. I decided to give a white transfer a go.


Being only 11" X 14" I chose to use the transfer as wall art so searched thru my frame stash until I found a nice wide artist frame.


 This is the frame, it measures 19X22 outside with an 11X14 opening, perfect

I painted the outer frame in Fusion Mineral Paint 's dark grey called ash and the inner frame, which was in great condition but it seemed just to crisp of white, in Fusion Mineral Paint 's raw silk (shown in the photo above left on the top with the lower original color). The warm white of raw silk toned it down perfectly and easily covered the gold detail.

The above right photo shows the raw silk all in place with the inner edge rubbed in Fusion Mineral Paint silver gilding paste (which is now discontinued) and the upper edge has just the narrowest hand painted line of Fusion Mineral Paint  silver metallic paint.


I also found the exact size piece of clear glass in my frame stash on another frame. I decided to go with a faux mercury glass look behind the transfer. To create the mercury look I sprayed the cleaned glass with Krylon looking glass spray in many coats with a water/vinegar spray over while wet dabbing with paper towel to get the aged mirror look. To add more depth I painted over the entire back when dry with the same dark grey Fusion Mineral Paint  that was on the frame (left) and flipped it over (R) for the reveal.. perfect faux mercury glass mirror!



Now for the actual IOD transfer- I placed the glass mirror side down and cleaned the glass one more time to be sure there was nothing to impair the transfer.


I chose to show the application in video format



It went on so fast and easily. The final step was to assemble the glass into the frame and affix with glazing points, add a saw tooth hanger and it was complete!



video tour




Now if I could just read French ;)






*Disclosure
I have received product as a brand blog rep in exchange for this post, but ALL the opinions are entirely MY own.  This post contains sponsored links for Fusion Mineral Paint and IOD - Iron Orchid Designs to help you find the items I used easily. There is no monetary compensation to me, strictly added for your convenience ;)

Linked up to these parties
Friday's Furniture Fix
Farmhouse Friday
Silver Penny Sundays
Happiness is Homemade
Inspiration Monday

Comments