Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Mens Valet with a Missing Piece Makeover


Classic distressed black mens valet makeover and missing part build. Follow along...

Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me


Men's valets are always a hit when I can source them. This little solid wood cutie was missing one of the upright wallet/cell phone supports so was needing a solution to replace it before it was reloved.



The other support could be removed and the holes filled??


My daughter suggested dowels but when in place it looked odd but this gave me an idea for replicating a new one.


I had a scrap piece of cedar that was the perfect height and the chopsticks would make the perfect connectors pieces.

Time to scrub it up with a damp cloth and Simple Green cleaner ready for its makeover.


The inside lining has seen some wear (and doodling) and was not the color of choice my daughter had in mind for her boyfriend.


She wanted his favorite color green so I chose Fusion Mineral Paint in bayberry.


Two watered down coats of this gorgeous green were brushed on. This allows the color to soak into the fabric and give a better color saturation. When it dried it was lightly sponge sanded to soften the texture.


Now on to replicating the missing support. First I measured the original upright piece and cut the cedar piece on the mitre saw.


Securing it in the work bench I drilled holes the size of the chopsticks in the bottom of the board.


Then the chopsticks were hand cut to the right length and glued in place, so far so good!


I just need to router the edges but will require assistance from my shop guy for that part.


While waiting for his assistance, I painted the valet body in Old Fashioned Milk Paint's classic pitch black.


Two coats were applied then everything sponge sanded smooth and distressed to reveal the original wood finish on the edges.


My shop guy helped me router the edges


to match almost perfectly!! YEAH!!

Now to paint it up and then the entire valet was waxed using Daddy Van's black wax.








Shared up at
Farmhouse Friday

Comments