Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Vintage Silverware Chest Upcycled to Navy Treasure Box


Solid wood silverware chests always catch my eye at thrifts sales. I love the classic style and construction even though they are not as popular to use as in days gone by.


I usually find them in great interior condition and do not have the heart to remove the interior to repurpose it into a keepsake box but this latest find was the perfect candidate to do so.


Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me


The interior was stained and the material loose and just plain dingy so I pulled out the flannel and silk lining pieces.


And scraped using my handy razor scraper and sanded the inside all smooth. The whole silverware chest was then cleaned well with Simple Green cleaner and damp rag ready for paint.


I chose Homestead House Paint Co. milk paint in midnight blue; a classic navy for this project.


The navy milk paint went on all sides including the inside upper area that was sanded smooth.


Two coats of Homestead House Paint Co. midnight blue milk paint went on then all surfaces sanded smooth with a sponge sander with a bit more pressure on the edges for a distressed look. Then all the milk painted surfaces were sealed with Fusion's clear wax.



Now for the inside: To replace the old red flannel I chose this fun print upholstery fabric that I had remnants of from my antique chair reupholstering. The fabric was cut to fit the areas and ironed to be crisp and have the salvaged edges ironed under for a nice crisp edge.


Then it was dry fitted to the chest to be sure it fit well.


Then it was flipped over and Elmer's spray adhesive applied.


Then placed in the chest and firmly pressed into place.


I reused the cardboard edge support and using more spray adhesive to the pressed material, affixed it to the cardboard.


Once it was glued in place and the lid shut, it was found to be a bit to tall for a seamless closure so it was removed, cut down to fit and redone again.


Perfect!! Such a fun punch of color don't you think?













Shared at these Link Up parties
Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations
Silver Pennies Sunday

Comments

  1. That’s very nice ! Left over paint and box here I come thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yours is going to look lovely as well!

      Delete
  2. I love the blue with teal inside. I don't understand not doing the inside lid. Missed opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. I did not do the top just as personal preference but for sure it could have been done as well. I did a chair in the same fabric too just as a side note.https://creativemoments10.blogspot.com/2013/03/rose-chair.html

      Delete
  3. I did an antique chair in this fabric toohttps://creativemoments10.blogspot.com/2013/03/rose-chair.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this amazing informative post with us i found this helpful for, Amish Crafted, Made in USA Flatware Chests, Silver Chests and Storage Boxes. Preventative linings that will help protect your silverware.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment