Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

French Provincial Dresser in a Soft Purple and Gold


This french provincial style dresser is a classic. I redid it completely with a modern twist, see how.


This cutie had seen lots of wear in her days but will look sweet again soon.


As usual the top was in the worst shape. I started with my new carbide scraper from Richard tools to loosen all the chipping paint. It is pretty tough factory finish that remains so will need the big guns to strip.



Look I found a tip while vacuuming it all out! Be sure to scrub the entire piece down with warm water, a rag and Simple Green cleaner. A clean surface is needed for paint to adhere well and these pieces have seen allot of grime in their day.


Out came the Klean Strip Stripper applied left and scraped off on right photo.


Some video visuals to help


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Then the top was power sanded when dry using my Dewalt orbital sander and 120 grit sand paper. I also sanded the sides and drawer fronts too to be sure there was no loose old finish.


To repair the chipped corner I like to use this PC Lumber epoxy putty. Knead with gloved hand and form in place. Let dry.


Then using same sander smooth for the perfect fix.


There are always a few other repairs but easy fixes with Titebond wood glue and clamps. 


Now to paint, to modernize the look a bit but keep the fresh classic neutral feel I chose Fusion Mineral Paint  little stork. This looks like white but has the faintest hue of purple. It will show more purple in different light too but will be perfect for this update.


Two coats were brushed on using Fusion's 2" angled brush.


To keep the classic gold stripe I used a gold Sharpie paint pen.


This video with demonstrate the ease of use.


I also did around the drawer and top edges as well.


It is all ready to have the original hardware scrubbed clean and put back on.


It is all painted perfect for a little princess to enjoy.










I have also linked items I used on my projects via my Amazon affiliate for your convenience. Rest assured there is no pressure to purchase nor is there any increase in price using my links. It is only meant to share what products I find useful.

Shared up at these link up parties

Comments