Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Milk Kefir

Along with making homemade kombucha I also am trying my hand at creating milk and water kefir. 

I wrote tutorials for the milk kefir, water kefir and kombucha on Hometalk. Since I shared this post I have also shared golden turmeric milk and  Mexican tepache posts there too. There is one for fermented lemonade coming soon which is oh so good. Here is the milk kefir post. Please let me know in the comments if you have made any of these fermented drinks, share any tips you may have as well as favorite flavors. Cheers!

Fermented Milk AKA Milk Kefir

Have you tried making or drinking fermented milk? What are your thoughts?


I found out about it when I switched my cane corso to raw food diet. Kefir is a highly recommended probiotic to add to their raw diet meals.


This led me to sourcing the milk kefir grains and trying my hand at making it. It is super easy. Let me share how.


First step is to source the milk kefir grains. I put an APB on our local Facebook group and in short order found 2 friends who had grains to share.


The grains grow over time allowing you to share with friends and family.


When you get the grains you need to feed them. They prefer organic raw whole milk but you can use whatever you have on hand. Put the grains in a glass jar and add milk. Start with a jelly jar of milk for about 1 TSP grains. Cover with a coffee filter and the ring to prevent any fruit flies etc from getting in the jar. Let the jar sit in a dark cupboard for 24 hours.



Use a plastic strainer over a glass measuring cup to sperate the grains from the kefir.

Use a plastic spatula to push kefir thru. Transfer the grains into a jar to start again with the steps above to make new batch.


With the finished kefir in the measuring cup you can now transfer to a glass jar and refrigerate before consuming. I like to add a bit of orange peel in the jar to add a nice flavor to the kefir.

Pour a bit of chilled kefir into a glass and enjoy!

Recipe details

  • 1 cup
  • Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 24 Hours|Total time: 24 Hours 5 Minutes

Ingredients

Instructions

Add kefir grains to a glass jar, add milk of choice. Cover jar with coffee filter and secure with a rubber band.
Place in a dark cupboard and let ferment for 24 hours.
Strain over a glass measuring cup using a rubber spatula to squish thru. Put the kefir into a storage jar adding a bit of citrus rind for flavor and store in the fridge.
Place kefirs grains back in fermenting jar and repeat the process.

Tips

Comments