Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Pretty In Pink Toy Box

 

Have you heard Dixie Belle Paint carries a transfer line now? The one that caught my eye first is called Latin floral and I found the perfect project to try it on; a wooden toy box. The bold colors and great design are perfect to add personality to the box.


The solid wood toy box has seen some wear in its life but nothing I could not revive.


Although the top was not affixed all the hardware was there just missing some screws and a pin.


My girl Harley always has to inspect pieces when they come in to smell all the new scents.

Step 1 is always a deep cleaning with Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner in a bucket of warm water and a good scrub brush. Hand scrubbing every inch removed pencil and pen marks, stickers and any sticky areas. This was followed with a good rinse with a garden hose then left to dry overnight. 

The next day the top corners really showed some wear from say perhaps a puppy? 


This was easily fixed by filling the areas with Dixie Belle mud using a mud spatula. Over fill the areas to allow some shrinkage when drying. It will easily sand smooth and level once dry.


The color I chose for the toy box was conch from the new Dixie Belle silk paint line. This soft pretty pink is the perfect background for such a bold pretty pattern. I applied it using a flat medium Dixie Belle synthetic brush


This new all in one paint has a built in primer, stain blocker and matte top coat and makes for the perfect paint for this project. 
Here are other conch painted projects.


Once the "wood" filled areas were dry and sanded I decided I was not a fan of the rough board ends. As a child's toy box they need to be smooth in my opinion so I grabbed the Dixie Belle mud and mud spatula again and painstakingly filled in all the ends on all sides and the top.


video view


The next day the ends were all sanded smooth as well the entire surface was scuff sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge then wiped ready to paint. This lightly sanded step gives the silk paint better adherence.


The entire box was painted the soft pink and seeing the wood was light colored and the silk paint has such great coverage only one coat was needed.


Once dr it was flipped over and the lower edge painted as well.


Now to add the pizzazz!! the Dixie Belle transfer. The transfer pieces come in a tube, remove and allow to uncurl. A burnishing stick and instructions are also enclosed. Here are other transfer projects I have done.


While leaving hte white backing on move the pieces around to find where you want the transfer to go. When you decide remove the white backing and carefully place in the desired location. Firmly rub with your palm in place then get the burnishing stick.


Rub from the top side and lift gently the clear cover as you go.


This requires patience, no need to rush this step.


Seeing there were slats I needed to use an exacto knife and cut the transfer along the crack and press down with fingertip.


Repeat this for the next section lining it up to match the patterns. It is complete!


A peek inside the toy box.

Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


I set the top on the box to see the look. I contemplated adding the other transfer pieces to each side or front but a poll to my fans suggested to leave as just on the top.

To seal the transfer I applied 3 coats of Dixie Belle matte clear coat with a damp Dixie Belle applicator sponge allowing each coat to dry before applying the next. This will add a bit of durability to the top of the box.


I applied in one direction alternating directions with each coat to get all the edges covered.


The hinges were put back on, the pin replaced and the inside lid holder screw back in place and it is ready.


This adorable box was called just with the sneak peek at the transfer I shared on my Facebook page. It will be sharing a room with this sweet Indian inlay stenciled dresser and jewelry box.









Another great use for this box is for blankets and such too.




Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON

June 28, 2021


Shared at these great link up parties





Comments

  1. That pink color is so soft and pretty and the transfer is beautiful. You did a great job reviving this piece. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am really loving this soft pink and so happy with the fun new transfer :)

      Delete

Post a Comment