Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Water Kefir

 

Water Kefir Anyone?

I am on a beverage fermenting roll. I have 3 I am trying and wanted to share from a newbies perspective. They are kefir; both water and milk kefir as well as kombucha.

Here are my starters for kombucha, milk kefir grains and at the bottom my water kefir grains shared with me from friends.

Water kefir first batch mixed and fermenting for 24 hours.

And after 24 hours the grains are separated and flavor is added and fermented for a second time. I chose orange and cranberry juice as what I had on hand. This is left to ferment for 24 hours then put in fridge to get cold before serving.


I did find this type of vessel did not produce the fizz I wanted which apparently is because that rubber seal actually lets some CO2 escape.

To get better carbonation (AKA fizz) fermenting the second time in a flip top bottle is recommended. I found these gorgeous cobalt blue bottles at a local manufacturer. I LOVE blue glass. However reusing store bought kombucha bottles and Grolsch beer bottles are a very economical way to bottle your beverages. Here is how I cleaned mine before using.

This is me separating the water kefir grains from the fermented liquid into my lime ginger fruits. It was then bottled in the blue bottles.

This is the next first ferment batch in the background and second ferment in the front blue bottles. This batch is lemon lime ginger. It was delicious!!

This is my second batch; lemon lime ginger served cold and I am a fan! Give it a try, it is easy and delicious.

This is a blueberry ginger batch, they just keep getting better :) - recipes below


Be sure to check out my other fermented beverages like kombucha and milk kefir here on my tutorial blog for more in depth videos and details as well as other great creations. I have tepache coming soon too.


Recipe details

  • 2 -16 oz bottles
  • Prep time: 5 Minutes|1st fermenttime: 24- 48 Hours| 2nd ferment 24-48 hours

Ingredients

Instructions

Boil 1/2 cup of the water, in a measuring cup, mix it with 1/4 cup sugar and stir till dissolved.
Add cool water to make 4 cups total. Once this is room temperature (add a couple ice cubes if in a hurry) put in a larger glass jar.
Then add your water kefir grains (usually about 2-3 TBSP).
Stir with non metal spoon, cover jar with coffee filter and secure with rubber band.
Place in a warm non direct sunlight area to ferment for 24-48 hours.
Strain this liquid out separating the grains to repeat these steps over again for a new batch.
The kefir liquid can now be drank as is or fermented in a second stage. This is my favorite because you can add endless flavors and it adds carbonation AKA fizz to the beverage.
In a 16 oz pressure rated flip top bottle, add 1/4 cup of your fruit juice or fresh fruit of choice ( with a bit of brown sugar if wanting it sweeter) and fill to the top leaving a bit of head room in the bottle. Flip the top to seal and place in a warm spot for second ferment for a few days.
Chill in the fridge then serve over ice and ENJOY!!

Tips

  • Water kefir contains:  up to 12 strains of probiotics, 7 strains of beneficial yeasts, enzymes to aid digestion, vitamins B12, B6, B1, vitamin K, magnesium, folate (vit. B9) and electrolytes. Make your gut happy and drink fresh, delicious water kefir every day. This is according to Happy Gut website.
  • Sugar mix tip: put 1 tbsp of coconut palm sugar into a 1/4 cup & fill the remainder with cane sugar (white sugar) will give the water kefir grains all they need to thrive.
  • Do not place different fermenting beverages (AKA water kefir and kombucha) near each other as they may cross contaminate bacteria/yeast
  • If your grains are not multiplying there are a few tricks 
  • 1 - try warming the vessel by wrapping in a tea towel and setting on one as well. I found my granite counter was just too cool for growth. Apparently in cooler climates a string of mini lights work or setting in your oven with the light on only.
  • 2- add a pinch of pink sea salt and a wee bit of pure maple syrup to first ferment
  • 3- add a prune, date or raisin to the liquid

Check out how carbonated my lemon ginger kefir is!!

Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store

Flavors

  • Flavors are endless, choose a few favorite fruits or juices or whatever you have on hand to start.
  • If using fruit juice choose pure 100% and from the fridge section if you can. The ones on the shelf have a shelf stabilizing ingredient that is not the best for our health or fermenting but it will work. 
  • For the lemon ginger kefir water I just add about 1 tbsp or more thinly sliced fresh ginger and 1/2 fresh lemon juice (and the pulp with a few thinly sliced with potato peeler lemon peel) and about 2 ml of brown sugar for 1-2 days second ferment. It is VERY fizzy as you can see above :)
  • For blueberry I added frozen blueberries, fresh ginger and 1/2 tsp sugar of choice, usually brown but try all to see what flavor you like best. :)
  • My 2 favorite flavors so far are pomegranate; I add fresh (bottled) pom juice and some fresh ginger, a bit of sugar is optional and pineapple; again fresh pineapple puree and I added 2 mls brown sugar. NOTE pineapple puree and sugar makes for a super fizzy beverage but oh so good. Next batch I will not add additional sugar. 


Bottling

  • Be sure to use pressure rated second ferment bottles, this is very important. Some folks like to "burp" the bottles to release the carbonation but I do not as I like the bubbly fizz. I usually only second ferment for 2 days and then store in the fridge and they never last long to worry about but if you do leave for long time in fridge then burp it weekly they say.
  • Write your flavor and date bottled on your vessel to track. I use a sharpie marker that washes off when cleaning for next fill or a piece of clear tape and a sharpie. On my blue flip top bottles I reuse wee post it flags as hard to see writing on the pretty blue glass.
  • These are the perfect bottles to use to create bubbly water kefir or I also reuse Grolsch beer bottles and kombucha jars. Here is my post again on how I clean and sterilize them. Clear allows you to write all details on it then wash off.


I will update recipes here when I create new favorites. I would also love to hear yours; Please share below.



Shared up at these link up parties

Comments

  1. I had no idea you could make water kefir. Your recipes do sound delicious! I've resisted the milk kefir because I don't do dairy but this I definitely want to try! Happy May Long weekend, Lee Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it really is soooo easy to make and the flavors are endless. Great alternative to dairy for sure to still get fermented beverages. It has a different taste then kombucha as well so makes for another refreshing beverage in our house ;)

      Happy long w/e!

      Delete
  2. Blueberry ginger sounds yummy. I didn't know anything about water kefir before reading your post. Thank you for sharing at the Friday with Friends link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it is really tasty. I have to say I knew nothing on it or milk kefir or even kombucha really before a few months ago either :)

      Delete

Post a Comment