Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Rustic Country Farmhouse Table Set

 


A customer offered me her solid pine coffee table set to relove and rehome, how can I ever say no to giving pieces new life? Solid wood furniture is hard to find these days unless high priced so I knew these would not take long to find a forever home once refinished.


The dark all over stain makes them look chunky and dated, let's lighten them up.

Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


There are LOTS of photos for this project, I hope sharing them all helps you see how I gave these pieces new life.


I started with one end table hauling it outside to power sand the top to bare wood. 


I started with 80 grit and made my way thru 100 - 120 -150 to 180.


The bare wood was revealed on the entire top.


Big difference already right?


Both end table tops complete.


Now to tackle the big coffee table.


The tables had been well used but being solid wood allows them to have 95% of the dings and scratches removed during sanding.


Here is a sanding video of just how damaged the tops were and how sanding fixes that.


After a couple hours of power sanding I had all the tops back to raw wood.


My shop assistant Harley approves :)


Next step all the bases were thoroughly cleaned using a spray bottle with a Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner & water mix in it and a rag. Once all was wiped well a second cleaning with clean water was in order. All sides and under all sides too, be sure to get all gunk and grime from years of use OFF!


For the top I chose Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain in walnut applying with Dixie Belle applicator pad.


Here is a short staining video


Here is the first coat going on, the antique fold down edged table had a coat as well. It was applied over and existing finish that was light so you can see the difference raw wood makes absorbing the color.


Once coat complete and left to dry overnight.


A better shot of both with one coat.


For the bases I thought I would do the same as the table baseDixie Belle silk paint in endless shore. But as it went on over such a dark stain I was not a fan of it.


I pulled out my trusty Dixie Belle Paint in drop cloth and painted the other end table base shown above on the right. Much better right? Then I went back and wiped off the silk paint with a damp rag.


To apply the drop cloth I used Dixie Belle best dang brush, this large natural bristle brush holds loads of paint which speeds up painting.


However it is not great for the areas that need a nice crisp line, for these areas I used a Dixie Belle chip brush.


Now all the bases were completed in one coat of drop cloth and the tops in walnut gel stain.


One coat of walnut was all I needed to achieve the dark stain I wanted so now time to seal. I went with Dixie Belle Gator Hide for a durable waterproof finish. I like to apply it with a damp Dixie Belle applicator sponge.


But before I applied the clear coat I did a light sanding with Dixie Belle sanding sponge. I repeat this step between layers of clear coat as well to get a super smooth surface.


Two coats were applied to each table top.


My shop assistant Harley likes to supervise all stages of progress ;)


Now to add detailing to the base with Dixie Belle's best dang wax in brown. I like to apply it with a dedicated Dixie Belle chip brush; one for each wax color. Above I am starting on the right side.


You can see the drop cloth only on the left side above better in this pic.


Above a second coat of Dixie Belle Gator Hide was applied.


I thought I might like to take the sheen down a bit so after a light sand I applied a coat of Dixie Belle satin flat coat again applying with the damp sponge.


The end table above shows wax again on right side and none on left. A poll on my Instagram had the votes split almost 50/50 as to preference. I personally liked the more rustic farmhouse look with the dark wax so did all the bases with the brown wax.


And they are complete! This set sold in a few short hours.








a couple video views





This view shows the flat sheen a bit better



Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared at these great link up parties

Comments

  1. Beautiful. They took a bit of work, but worth it. Thanks for sharing at the FWF party.
    hugs
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness, indeed they did but so worth giving new life to :)

      Delete

Post a Comment