Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Navy Floral Decoupaged Desk

Sometimes a plain old boring wooden desk needs some pizzazz. Using Dixie Belle Paint 's rice paper this adorable desk was given that and some more!


This sweet MCM desk was picked up in an online auction.


There were not allot of bidders as I think many were not interested in such a plain simple look but I have big plans for it.


The usual first step was a deep scrub using Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner in a bucket of water soapy water and a scrub brush. Every nook and cranny was scrubbed and then rinsed well with fresh water and left to dry. 

Once dry the base and drawer fronts were given a scuff sand using a Dixie Belle sanding sponge, this not only smooths any roughness on the original finish but also give a bit of grip for the paint.


Although the frame and drawers were solid wood and the sides wood veneer, the top was a super shiny smooth laminate. 


To be sure paint will stick to this well Dixie Belle Slick Stick was brushed on using a Dixie Belle premium chip brush. Two coats were applied 2 hours apart then left to dry for 24 hours.


While the top dried I started on the desk base. I chose a rich navy called deep sea from the new Dixie Belle silk paint line using a flat medium Dixie Belle synthetic brush.

I did a mens valet in this fab color as well.


The drawer fronts were painted as well.


I had these two patterns of Dixie Belle rice decoupage paper and was not sure which one to choose so put out a poll on my Instagram and Facebook pages. 


The sketched floral won hands down. This was good as I have 2 packages of it on hand.


To apply the rice paper to the drawer fronts I cut the bottom edge off the paper  and cut in half which fit perfectly on each drawer front. I am using Dixie Belle Gator Hide as my decoupage medium as it is supposed to give a more translucent background which will work well over the navy paint.


Using a Dixie Belle premium chip brush, I brushed on a layer of Dixie Belle Gator Hide on being sure to cover the entire drawer front then place the rice paper in desired spot and firmly rubbed down.


Then another coat was brushed over the top. See the difference of the wet paper on the top and dry on the bottom.


All drawers were completed the same way then allowed to dry.


 Once dry the edges can be sanded off if any over hang.


Here they are set in the desk and look pretty cute don't you think?


The hardware that was removed needs an update. The feet had some rust and major discoloration like the pulls.


All were scrubbed well and spray painted a pretty soft satin silver.


The feet were put back on the legs and screwed on and the pulls screwed in place.


And once assembled it was complete.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me



video tour









Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared at these great link up parties

Comments

  1. Oh my GOODNESS! You did a FANTASTIC job! This desk is GORGEOUS! And I Love Love the farmhouse Vases!!!! Im gonna do that project today! Thankyou sooo much for the inspiration 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words, it really made my day. I hope you enjoy creating the vases as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful makeover. This was a great find for a project and I would have never thought to put the paper on the front drawers. I have yet to use Dixie Bell products and I am learning so much from reading your posts. Thanks for sharing them. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to share such kind comments :) They are appreciated !

      Delete
  3. It never fails to impress me how old furniture can be made into something special. You did a great job with this desk :)
    Thank you for sharing it and your other posts at the FWF link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. every old piece deserves another chance I say :) thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment