Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Natural Wood Grain & White MCM Dresser

 

Check out this before and after. I love finding solid gorgeous wood grain under the MCM glossy finish dressers. This one did not disappoint. The wood grain is stunning!

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


Remember this plastic shiny wood finish, it is going to change. And in a very good way!
But it takes a few steps.


The dresser was scrubbed with Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner to clean everything well. Even the clean pieces are dirty once you scrub. Just watch the above video to see. All was rinsed and dried well.


To remove the plastic like finish I started by applying a thick coat of EZ Strip paint and varnish stripper


After it did its thing the finish was scraped off. (video above)


Then you have to neutralize the stripper on the drawers with a rinse of water. (see above video)


The drawer fronts were then power sanded to remove the remaining finish.


The edges too of course.


 Going thru grits 80/100 then 150 brought the wood grain beautifully. The above left photo shows progress.

Wood grain drawer fronts are a favorite look of mine, HERE are more and these projects too.


To assure good paint adherence to super smooth surfaces, Dixie Belle Slick Stick is the answer. I applied one coat then realized I had applied a coat of white Dixie Belle BOSS instead!! It seems the near same containers and both white contents are easily confused even by someone who uses them often. Oh my goodness, it does keep you humble. And remind you to look before you apply.


While the coat dried well I rehydrated the rounded bottom wood drawers with Dixie Belle Big Mama’s Butta. I love to apply it with my dedicated Dixie Belle La Petite brush.  


It easily brushes on with a quick wipe to remove any excess. This scent was flannel. It leaves your project smelling lovely too. (another video above)


The dresser legs were power sanded to raw wood. Check out the difference.


I tried a hack I saw on Instagram using a drill and your sander


to spin and remove the finish faster.


And it worked ok :)


I set the sanded drawers in to see about the body color choice.


Then I applied the proper Slick Stick coats on the body using a favorite mini Dixie Belle synthetic brush.

 I went with a classic neutral color combo. Whitecap Dixie Belle silk mineral paint was painted n the body. First coat went on with a Dixie Belle scarlet brush.


To seal the natural wood color, I applied Dixie Belle satin clear coat with a synthetic brush.


Two coats were applied on the legs and drawer fronts.


And because I like the look of a waxed finish when the clear coat layers were good and dry I brushed on a coat of clear Dixie Belle's best dang wax.


I like the original hardware but it is in need of a color change.
It got a good scrub and dry.


My first attempt was using the new Dixie shine system.
A thin coat of the stick with me glue was applied.


Then silver shine applied but the shape of the hardware did not seem conducive for this and was blotchy.

 

I then spray painted silver.


But that color just did not seem to be the look I wanted either.


Oil Rubbed bronze spray paint look perfect.


The warm tones add to the gorgeous grain.


I used other vintage knobs I had on hand as the original ones were too small in my opinion.



The curved bottom wooden drawers are so unique.



A few different staging attempts. This part is sometimes harder then the reloving process.




better shot of the curved drawers


Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON




Hometalk
Aug 21/23

Shared at these lovely link up parties






Comments

  1. Completely different look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Donna for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So LeeAnn, I would have passed on this piece, but after I see what you did with it, I am like wow, never pass on anything ever again. You did an amazing job with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and honesty. I love finding the gorgeous wood grains in pieces that look dated and boring. There is so many pieces overlooked indeed. I am very glad to inspire folks like yourself to look beyond the surface.

      Delete

Post a Comment