Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Rustic Worn Weathered Look Coffee & End Tables

 

Thirty three years ago we purchased this coffee and end table set. For years it provided great service to us but it was time for a makeover. I gave it a new rustic color update that paired well with the subtle curves.


I am not sure how 1 end table did not make this picture but there are 2 end tables.

When I set the one end table on our hardwood floor I noticed it rocked. What the heck? We have had this set for 33 years but it has always been on carpet. To remedy this issue I applied a bead of hot glue on the bottom of 2 of feet (on opposite corners). It worked brilliantly!


They were cleaned with a damp cloth.


And flipped upside down on paint pyramids. I like to start with the underside first.


It is a much easier way to get the edges and legs painted. I chose buttercream Dixie Belle Paint. It was brushed on with the mini Dixie Belle synthetic brush.


The coffee table getting its first coat.


Two coats were applied to all 3 bases.


The tops were re wiped and any paint from the edges.



So after adding these I see I really like dining tables and French provincial (FP) tables done in this look.


I decided to give the table tops a fresh coat of color but first a quick scuff sand and wipe.


Walnut Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain was applied with a blue shop towel, excess wiped off and left to dry for a couple days.


Unfortunately the table tops wear over the years was enhanced with the stain. This video shows what the table top looks like after the gel stain up close.


SO I decided to try something different. In hind sight I should have stuck with this stain plan :)

If you want to bypass my multiple change of plans please skip to the bottom finished photos.



I dry brushed the butter cream paint over the top creating texture with a Dixie Belle premium chip brush


All the tops were underway on this new plan.


applying the buttercream video

2 coats of the buttercream were applied like this


Next I applied a coat of picklin white No Pain Gel Stain over the tops.


Weathered grey No Pain Gel Stain was also used in yet another step


On another coat of stain, grey gel stain was added to the white (video)


and blending with paper towel (video)


For this grey white look.


But even while wet I was not a fan of the now whiter top with the warm white bases.

So yet another plan emerged. 


I did the table base in white Dixie Belle's best dang wax applied with my dedicated Dixie Belle best dang brush.


And added ash Dixie Belle dirt with the help of Dixie Belle easy peasy spray wax sprayed in the crevices first. I hoped this grey and white would help blend better with the stained top.


Watch my adding dirt video. 


The top and bottom still did not harmonize. SO I did a wash of the buttercream over top of the stain once dry. Nope, this was not the look I wanted.


I want to warm up the top. I used au natural Dixie Belle Voodoo Gel Stain 


and the buttercream with my Fine Mist Spray Bottle and chip brushes to blend.


It needed more dimension

 So I added tobacco Dixie Belle Voodoo Gel Stain


more au natural and blended with the secret weapon; Dixie Belle big daddy brush


Just watch how the Dixie Belle big daddy brush makes blending a dream!!!


It created an amazing look.


But again once all was dry I still did not love the tops and bases together. They were each pretty on their own but not together.


So I did a coat of walnut  Gel Stain over the tops and loved it. If you made it this far in my multiple plans, thanks you!! I believe in sharing the bad as well as the good and hope to spare you the extra steps. BUT I also want to share that everything is fixable and changeable when it comes to visions in your head and on projects.


I then added brown best dang wax on the bases as to give a more rustic warm feel.


I changed the dirt color in the crevices to earth. This warm brown was much better. This is my go to look so why did I try to change it right?


After the tops dried for 72 hours I used a mini brush and gave them a coat of Dixie Belle Gator Hide. This will provide that waterproof top table need. It is however a bit shinier so the second coat was Dixie Belle flat clear coat but it was too flat so the 3rd and final sealing was a coat of Dixie Belle satin clear coat. And because I like the look a few days later I buffed on a clear wax coat.


That was allot of steps to get to here but I am a fan of the final look.



It is definitely one of a kind.


Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk







Comments

  1. Love the rustic worn weathered look of this coffee end table! The distressed finish and reclaimed materials give it such unique charm. Beautiful craftsmanship and great tips for styling. Keep up the creative work!

    Also visit here: https://homeloftglobal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!! They look fantastic...I did something similar a few years ago on 2 tables my husband bought at a church flea market for $6 each!!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved following your process! I do things that way all the time, and most times they turn out great. Yours ended up beautiful, and look gorgeous in your home! Thanks for the step by step - I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I am so glad I am not the only one that has many do overs on some pieces :)

      Delete
  4. Do you know how nice it is to hear someone else keeps furniture for a long time? I have friends who comment I cannot believe you still have that, like it is a bad thing. I like what we buy for our home, never making rash decisions, and do not follow trends when making large purchases. Love how you breathed new life into your tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are kindred spirits, I am so sad that many people discard pieces that at one time made them happy to have. Most just need an update. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete

Post a Comment