Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Coal Black Buffet and Hutch


SORRY this was the best pic I could get as it headed out the door, the customer is adding new hardware and will send an updated photo of this beauty


This antique hutch/buffet was brought to me to be custom painted. It was the lady's husbands grandmothers and she hoped to have it painted to match a piece she had in her that was done in a rustic distressed black.


I totally could see this reloved in that look.


The first step is remove the hardware but the customer did that. As with all my pieces, a good hand scrub with warm water, soap and a bit of TSP comes next. This really cleans the surface from years of dirt, grime and oils that will affect the finished look. 

Once scrubbed it is rinsed well and dried and all repairs made. This beauty needed just a couple new door stops cut and fastened in place with glue and nails.



Now to sand the old finish to remove old finish build up and such. However the top had allot of marks and damage that would be better completely removed so I stripped the old finish off with furniture stripper and sanded it completely down to bare wood.

It did reveal that the tiger oak was just a faux finish.


To refinish the top, Homestead House's new stain and finishing oil all in one in ebony was the perfect color. This finish is perfect for dry antiques as the oil is easily absorbed taking the color with it into the wood grain. After letting each coat dry over night and lightly sanding between, I applied 3 coats in total.


After sanding the rest of the pieces I needed to address the removed appliques. The exposed wood will absorb the paint differently then the finished portion so prevent this spray on a few coats of shellac.

When dry it was on to the fun part, painting!


Fusion Mineral Paint in coal black was the perfect answer.




It has great coverage so only took 1 coat then a touch coat. 


To keep the antique vibe and look, all the edges and surfaces with lightly distressed with a sanding sponge. I like to deepen the coal black with Fusion's black wax.









The piece is now complete and ready to head home and have new hardware added. I am excited to see what she chooses.




I will update the finished look when the customer sends a photo with new hardware added. She also dropped off her grandmas bookcase cabinet when she picked up to have it painted in this same finish.

Linked up to these parties
Farmhouse Friday

Comments