Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

How We Built Our Bottle Trees

Have you seen photos of our blue bottle tree in some of the Creative Moments posts? If not here are a couple of it.



 
Years ago we stayed in Texas with a family that had colored bottle trees adorning their yard and instantly I was enamored. The trees have a history to them that make them even more interesting.

"Traditionally, bottle trees are cobalt blue. It is believed that this rich color has healing powers. The color has also been associated with ghosts and spirits. The bottles were placed on the branches of dead trees or rods that were stuck into the ground. These trees have been made in the south for hundreds of years. The folklore of the bottle tree is very interesting. According to stories passed down through generations, the bottles were hung upside down to entice the curiosity of evil spirits. Drawn by the rich, cobalt color, the spirits would enter the bottles and become trapped. The evil spirits would be destroyed when the sun rose the following morning. If a bottle hums when the wind blows, you know there’s an evil spirit trapped inside.

The folk-art legend of the bottle tree began in the Congo during the ninth century. Blue bottles were hung upside down on trees and huts as talismans to ward off evil spirits. Bottles were also tied to trees near important locations such as meeting places or crossroads to trap any spirits that were travelling. The tradition found its way to America when slave trade began in the 17th century. Slaves would place bottles on crepe myrtle trees. This could possibly be tied to the Bible’s Old Testament mention of the tree representing freedom and escape from slavery.

Today bottle trees can be seen across the south in a multitude of bright colors."

I planned to one day have one in my favorite glass color; cobalt blue and started to save bottles. When we built our home, I had the tree drawn into the landscaping plan. A couple summers later we finally were able to create it.

Customers always comment on it when they arrive to pick up pieces. I have been collecting bottles since we put it up about 6 years ago to make another. Two years ago we did just that and I thought I would share how we made both our blue bottle trees.


It all starts with a hole ;) Well actually finding the post of choice would be the first step then digging a hole that will hold it securely.


We dug about 3 feet down and twice as wide as the post we chose.


You want it to be VERY secure in the ground.


Put the post in the hole and fill to ground level with crushed gravel and tamp well as you go, this post will not move now.


A load of wood chips were purchased to put around the posts base once complete.


Holes were drilled downwards in the post in a tree branch pattern. 


Rebar was cut into varying lengths.


Then tapped into the holes to create the branches.


Now to add the bottles. I have collected blue glass wine bottles mainly Dr Zenzen. There are a couple other brands too.
 To soak off the labels, I loaded up a large plastic tub with bottles and water.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Then the labels were scraped off.


Rinsed and left to dry. The metal neck wraps were cut off once dry.


I needed more bottles so once sourced more they had the labels removed too.


and again the metal neck wraps cut off.


Then the bottles were put on, yeah!


A view from the top down.


Here is a spring view but it is still needing more bottles.


And below is a the winter view. 


I am loving the latest tree, how about you?


The beautiful maremma under the tree in back is my Lola who has since passed. She is dearly missed.


 White lights were wrapped around the post like the first tree (above) and put on a timer to light up at night too.


And this beauty skyline is the perfect backdrop to the latest bottle tree.

Shared at these great link up parties
Thursdays Favorite Things

Comments