Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Navy Milk Painted Antique Dresser


This is the shorter mirrored dresser that was brought to be custom painted along with the tall chest of drawers dresser. The customer wanted a surprise and that I did.

 
The dressers were her husbands grandparents left behind in a farm house. She messaged me asking if they were worth refinishing.. YES!!! was my immediate answer. These pieces hold so many memories but are made of actual hardwood, a thing only $$$ buys now a days.


First step is to give this dresser a deep scrub. I like to use Fusion TSP Alternative in a bucket of warm soapy water and a scrub brush. This is the tall chest of drawers  too.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


To reveal the solid wood top I used EZ Strip paint and varnish stripper brushed on with a Fusion Chip Brush. A nice thick layer was left to soak in for a few hours.


When the finish was ready a few hours later it was scraped off to show the beautiful grain. Once all the "gunk" was scraped off a green scotch brite pad was used with clean water to remove any stripper left and neutralize the top.


The dresser was then hauled outside to power sand the top smooth thru a variety of sanding grits followed by a hand sanding.


Fusion Milk Paint pairs so well with antiques.


 I chose a fun blue called poolside as the first layer. To be sure it did not chip off I added Fusion Bonding Agent/Ultra Grip. Two coats were brushed on in total allowing each coat to dry well.


Look at those solid wood tops!


Using a Richard Tool Sanding Sponge the top was hand sanded after the stripping process, wiped to remove the sanding dust and ready to stain. My favorite all in one stain is Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil. And my favorite color is cappuccino. I apply it with a blue shop towel and wipe back once the coat is evenly applied.


4 coats of the Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil were applied (1 a day) lightly sponge sanding between coats. Perfect!


The third painted coat was in Fusion's night swim. This rich navy blue is so classic. I have used it on this  antique table and modern accent table.


You can see the color layers going on.


Both dressers all painted and stained.


On the mirror portion the poolside was left showing on the inset design as requested by the customer. She wanted something to make it accented. The mirror was left safely at home. This is a new caveat I have at the shop after a replacement mirror cost me $250 for this antique vanity replacement.


Everything was sponge sanded to smooth the layers of milk paint and reveal the color layers. The edges were lightly distressed as well to keep the antiques feeling authentic.


Notice the right drawer that is sanded looks much lighter, this is normal with milk paint. To seal the darker milk paint colors I like to use Fusion Hemp Oil. It soaks into the layers of milk paint and brings them back to the rich color which you can see on the above right drawer and the further above mirror photo.


The excess oil can be wiped after about 20 minutes then buffed in the next day. 


The Fusion Hemp Oil is very authentic sealer for antiques as well.


Once I waxed the drawer runners and put the drawers in I was not a fan of a couple.


No problem, I just painted another coat of navy milk paint and re oiled. To add a bit more dimension on the whole dresser I used black Fusion Furniture Wax on the edges once the oil was absorbed.


The original hardware was scrubbed well, dried then polished with metal cleaner. This took longer then painting it seemed but the difference was worth it. The 4 left ones have the perfect shine and patina combo compared to the dull single one yet to go.


The hardware was put back on and this cutie was complete!


The customer was thrilled with the set once she saw the photos.


The solid wood grain top was stunning.


Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk





Here is a video tour




Be sure to check out the matching chest of drawers.


The customer sent these once the mirror was put back in and a few antique memorabilia added. Thanks for sharing Joanne.


 


FEATURED ON

Shared at these great link up parties

Comments

Post a Comment