Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Antique Ironing Board into Entry Table

 


I LOVE to repurpose things to have a new job so when a good customer asked if I would relove this antique ironing board to become their new entry way table I was ecstatic!


This solid wood beauty is over 100 years old most likely coming west on a covered wagon.


It was given to my good customer on her wedding by her husband's grandmother to save them having to buy an ironing board. It was her mothers! Such amazing history this piece has. It will be the perfect entry table they see every day walking into their new home.


Step 1 was to remove all the hand forged nails around the edge. The latest covering had been removed for the makeover but these remained. I kept all the one of a kind nails for them to perhaps put in a jar to display on the table. It is so amazing to see such wee bits of hsitory.


The next step was a deep cleaning to remove years of wear. I like to add Fusion's TSP to warm soapy water.


But I wanted to keep the hand written note the Grandma had left on the underside so will wash around it and hand wipe after. The probably date listed has been amended to well before the 30's.


Using a scrub brush everything got a good cleaning then rinsed well and left to dry.


The entire piece was sanded to remove and snags and roughness. I chose Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil in natural for the top to keep the wood grain character. 


See how it enriches the wood grain? 4 coats in total were applied letting each dry overnight then lightly sanded with a sanding sponge after each coat was dry.


For the base I chose a new color I have yet to try from Milk Paint by Fusion called London fog. It is a gorgeous warm white.


watch how easy it mixes and how pretty it is


The milk paint soaks right into the wood fibers.


The warm white color pairs so well with the top don't you think?


My shop dog Harley just chilling while I paint.


Once the milk paint dried I hauled it outside and sanded all the painted surfaces to a buttery smooth finish and distressed the edges to give a worn appearance to the paint.


Now to seal it, Fusion Furniture Wax in clear was brushed on.


Make sure you get all sides brushed then wipe with a blue shop towel to remove excess.


Wanting to further age in and make it look like this was the original paint from years ago I added Fusion Furniture Wax in espresso; a brown wax.


This is the perfect final touch. Apply it in all the areas where dirt would be and around the hardware pieces. Even though it is a new paint job it looks authentic to being done years ago thanks to milk paint and dark wax.


It is going to look amazing in their entry way!



Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me








Comments

  1. I just purchased one almost exactly like it but it's red. I will have to look to see if my treasure has any handwritten notes underneath. How fun would that be?! Love what you did with yours. It turned out beautifully! Thanks for posting it on the Farmhouse Friday LP! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This hand written note was from the customers grandmother which makes it even more special for years to come.

      Thank you for taking time to comment and leave kind words, appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Love the history of this project. You did a wonderful job taking care of it and I am sure they will pass it down to their children as well. Thanks for sharing your project with us. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, I love giving old things new life esp projects like this :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea to use this as an entry table! And I love the note and history behind it!
    Thanks for sharing at Sundays on Silverado!

    Niky @ The House on Silverado

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Niky, appreciate you hosting and stopping by to share kind words :)

      Delete
  4. Love how you preserved the grandmother's note. I have a similar old ironing board I bought at garage sale yrs ago. It also had lots of nails in it. I need to put the wood preservative on it like you did. I just cleaned it really well and use it as plant stand in my kitchen. I'm careful to not spill water on it, though. Thanks for your pictures and great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, I love to share my projects. Also love hearing others stories as well :)

      Delete

Post a Comment