Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Coffee Table Makeover Round 2

 


This French Provincial coffee table just received its second makeover here at Creative Moments. The latest update is in my favorite color combo stain and warm white!
You will see HERE I may do this combo allot


This was the table in its original state for the first makeover back in 2014. My daughter purchased it loving the shape and I loved she bought solid wood.


Her first request was for an all white makeover which looked lovely. Above is a photo nearing completion.


And here is the same table 7 years later after lots of wear and tear.


And nail polish remover spills, water rings etc. It was indeed in need of a refresh.


The table was hauled outside after a good cleaning to begin the sanding process. I worked my way thru the sandpaper grits 80-100-120-150 going slow and steady.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Until all the old finish was back to bare wood.


There were still some water rings revealed so back to sanding with a fresh 120 pad to remove them too. This is the benefit of buying solid wood; it can be refinished over and over.


All the sanding dust was wiped clean and brought into the shop to dry.


Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain in walnut was rubbed on to give a rich dark stain. You can apply with a brush, a Dixie Belle applicator pad or a blue shop towel. Allow the stain to dry over night.


Using a Dixie Belle sanding sponge lightly sand the stained surface, wipe and apply another coat repeating the dry time and light sanding.


The stained top then was left to dry for 72 hours before sealing. This is because the stain is oil based and the top coat is water based. I chose Dixie Belle Gator Hide applied with a damp Dixie Belle applicator sponge for a durable sealer for the coffee table top.


Allowing proper dry time between coats, 3 were applied with the sponge. I did notice the last coat had some streaks so tried applying a 4th coat with a brush but preferred the sponge finish so applied a 5th sponged coat. To smooth the streaks I buffed the top with 0000 steel wool for a smooth streak free finish.


Now to freshen up the base. Dixie Belle silk paint in the warm white color called endless shore was brushed on using the flat medium Dixie Belle synthetic brush. See how it is a bit whiter then the former warm white color?


Using a Dixie Belle sanding sponge the paint was lightly sanded smooth like butter and the edges lightly distressed. The final step was to add age and detailing with Dixie Belle's best dang wax in brown applied with a dedicated Dixie Belle premium chip brush. I keep one for each color wax.



And this gorgeous beauty is ready for many more years of service.







Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared up at these link up parties

Comments