Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Greek Key Shelving Unit

This little shelf has undergone a HUGE reloving. There were moments I wondered why I kept going but the end result was worth it.


The shelf did not look in as bad of shape in the Facebook post but when I picked it up in person it was sooooo dirty, covered in stickers, nail polish, tape etc and had a piece of plywood nailed on the original front side of the unit.


This shot was after all the stickers, tape and gunk was off. I removed the wood and gave it a deep scrub with Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner and a scrub brush. Wetting the wood brought out smoke smell. This is something I usually ask before taking a piece but forgot this time. To solve this issue Zinsser Bull's Eye spray shellac was sprayed over all sides.


The shelf is wood veneer that needed regluing and clamping on one side. 


However when checked awhile later the veneer was just not lying as flat as I wanted so I removed the bubbly area.


The flat veneer was reclamped.


And the area where removed was filled with DAP premium wood filler and left to dry as well.


There also was an area on the top that needed the veneer glued and clamped after the wood filler area was sanded smooth with my orbital sander. The whole unit was sanded to be sure all surfaces were smooth and give the paint increased adherence.


The painting fun part was now the next step. Dixie Belle silk paint in the pretty harbor blue color was brushed on using a medium flat Dixie Belle synthetic brush. All sides; every surface was painted again to combat the cigarette smoke smell.


The top area also had the wood filler added and sanded smooth.


And after the first coat went on other areas now showed that needed more DAP premium wood filler as well. This all dries then the wood filler areas sanded smooth with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge.


Then another coat of the harbor blue Dixie Belle silk paint on all sides.


To add whimsy and character to this piece I chose the Greek key Dixie Belle stencilDixie Belle silk paint in bay breeze was the stenciled color.


I thought I would use the stencil edge and find the repeat pattern to fill the right side but it was difficult to find so plan b had painters tape placed the same distance from the edge as the right side and another coat of harbor brushed on to make the pattern equal on both sides.


Using an artist brush I touched up a few areas.


Then when dry I lightly sanded the entire unit to give a worn appearance as well as make the silk paint smooth as butter.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me





Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared up at these link up parties


Comments

  1. Define6 a fresh to treasure. Su h a pretty color. Were you able go contain the smoke smell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the kind words, yes indeed, the shellac and paint on every surface after a deep scrub !

      Delete
  2. Wow, talk about trash to treasure! Love the paint color but that awesome greek key stencil detail stole the show. Nice save Lee Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie!! I had doubts when I started but love the ending too :)

      Delete
  3. I'm new in the game tring to learn all I can and you do some very awesome work so shall be following you getting more knowledgeable ..Ireally love the fact of how you bring life back to beautiful wood and didn't trash it that inspires me the most when there are challenging pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, I love to inspire other to save pieces from the destined dump :) welcome aboard I am glad to have you here.

      Delete

Post a Comment