Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

DIY Magnolia Riser Serving Tray

 


Repurposing a solid maple door, new drawer pulls and some old wooden knobs and adding gorgeous magnolia transfer to create this one of a kind serving tray/riser. It is my new favorite piece!


It starts with a new unused solid maple cabinet door that was washed well with Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner to be sure the surface is prepped and ready to paint.


On the inside of the door there are plastic inserts that need to be removed. I find the easiest way is to drill them out.


Then the holes were filled with Dixie Belle mud with a mud spatula and left to dry well as it is a big hole. Once good and dried it was all sanded flush.


The first coat of color brushed on was Dixie Belle Paint in sand bar. I like to use a mini angled Dixie Belle synthetic brush.


Next I layered the NEW Dixie Belle Paint limited edition fall line cashmere then latte in the crevices and random areas.


These are the 5 new limited edition fall colors and the newest Dixie Belle Big Mama’s Butta in flannel that smells AMAZING!!

I did these rustic mason jar vases in the other 3 colors.


To get a blended muted layered look.


A bit of cotton was added too to add highlights. These are the 4 blended colors. When dry, the tray was sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge to smooth, distress edges a bit and reveal colors.


The beautiful magnolia DixieBelle transfer was added next set in the center and burnished in place.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


To seal the transfer and paint I used the Dixie Belle scarlet brush and flat Dixie Belle clear coat. Two coats went on. As well the paint colors and poly were done the same on the back side.


Now to add some age and depth with brown Dixie Belle's best dang wax. I like to use a dedicated Dixie Belle premium chip brush to apply it to get in the crevices well. Wipe it back and buff then another coat of flat poly was applied. Dixie Belle wax is water based which makes it able to have poly applied over it.


I selected 4 old large wooden knobs from my stash and painted them in the same paint layers as well then they were clear coated too.


And here it is so far and I love it. Now to decide about whether to add feet, pulls or both.


I put this poll on my Instagram and Facebook pages where riser tray won hands down.


these are the poll photos full size



the pulls are just sitting on the tray to visualize


The painted "feet" were glued and clamped and left to dry overnight.


My handyman husband drilled holes and affixed the new drawer pulls.


After it was all assembled another coat of Dixie Belle flat clear coat was brushed on then when dry followed by a final coat of clear  Dixie Belle's best dang wax. Buff and it is ready to serve.






Here is a video tour of this beauty


Here are the other 3 new fall colors done in mason vases.




Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


Dec 28/21


Shared up at these link up parties









Comments

  1. Very pretty table riser tray LeeAnn! Love that you recycled a cabinet door to make it, saving it from ending up in the landfill. The magnolia transfer is so pretty. I would display this as a table riser on my dining room table in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, your kind words are always appreciated! cheers

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I purchased a small tray at a thrift store and have struggled on how to remake it, so I need to find a great transfer from Dixie Belle for it. Thanks for the inspiration and linking up. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to inspire, there are so many great transfers out there I am sure you will find the perfect one.

      Delete

Post a Comment