Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Refinished Vintage Table Set

 



I can never pass a solid wood table set, these 3 are from Vilas and are very well made. The coffee table was refinished first with the buyer calling the matching fraternal end tables. She also wanted the light wood top darkened which was doable while refinishing the end tables.


The matching fraternal tables make for a unique one of a kind set.


The gorgeous solid wood stands the test of time for years so well worth updating.


Using EZ Strip paint and varnish stripper applied with a Fusion Chip Brush, I allowed it to soak in overnight covered in recycled plastic.


I did try removing after a few hours but this was the result.


So I waited and that worked much better.


After about 12 hours I scraped the old finish off with a metal putty knife.


To neutralize and remove the remaining softened finish I scrubbed the top with clean water and a green scouring pad rinsing often till all was removed.


They were hauled outside and power sanded to bare wood.


This was after 80 and 100 grit.


Still has a ways to go.


The next day they were once again hauled back out and finished using 120, 150 and 180 grit papers.


Then the top and the sides were hand sanded with this awesome big sanding block; Richard Tool Sanding Sponge. The base finish was lightly scuffed for best paint adherence.

Everything was then wiped with Fusion TSP Alternative and a bit of dawn mixed in a spray bottle. This allows for a nice clean surface for paint to stick.


Even though the buyer wants the tops dark they need to be the same colors as the natural stained coffee table to start. This gives them all the same layers of colors so Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil in natural was applied.


Here is a video demo of how easy it is to apply.


The first coat dry was followed with 2 more coats each requiring 9 plus hours between each coat.


Now it was time to make all the table tops darker using Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil in cappuccino. You can see above how dark it is when wiped on compared to the 3 coats of dried natural on the right round table. I love this rich color, HERE are many more projects I have used cappuccino on.


But once wiped back it lightens up allot. This is going to require a few more coats. It was then on to painting the bases. They were done in Fusion Mineral Paint's new cashmere color to match the coffee table. Two coats were brushed on in total.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk

 3 coats of cappuccino Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil went on over the 3 natural coats. This is the coffee table now darker.

And these are the end tables.

I had removed the tops to paint the bases and these photos show the gorgeous solid wood and great construction.


I brought them into my dining room to start the curing process before pick up.


As well as send photos to the customer which she approved.


The rectangular table looked lighter so a 4th coat of cappuccino was applied to have all the same darkness.



Time to stage them up.








Shared at these fun link up parties

Comments

Post a Comment