Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Worn Weathered Bankers Desk

 If you love the worn and weathered finish as much as I do, let me show you my latest creation; a vintage bankers desk.


I jumped at the chance to score this bankers desk. The size is perfect for so many spaces. Most desks are very large (I work at one) but this one is compact with lots of storage.


The underside of the large drawer is stamped with the manufacturer name and desk number.


And inside is this label but I think it was added by a past owner. However a lady on Facebook shared this info with me. Thank you for this

Mary Joanne Cummings
I painted a library table by the Preston Furniture Co in Milk Paint, it had the same brass feet! Here is an excerpt about them:
"This was a company with roots dating to 1838 when the Swiss-born Frederick Guggisberg opened a furniture shop beside the Speed River. He later had a three-storey brick factory built next door.
Guggisberg died in 1888. Subsequent owners of the plant incorporated under the name Preston Furniture Co. The firm was acquired in 1919 by Hilborn, who later acquired two other Preston furniture firms as well, the Canadian Office and School Furniture Co. and the Schmidt Furniture Co.
In 1990, Preston Manufacturing Ltd. was acquired by the U.S. firm, Hedstrom Corp. Hedstrom Canada ceased production at 185 King St. E. in the fall of 1991."


Time to scrub it well inside and out, it looks to have been previously refinished and while cleaning the pull out shelf it proved the old stain was indeed in a reddish cherry tone. Most of it washed off.


The body was hauled outside and scrubbed there. I like to use warm soapy water with some Fusion TSP Alternative added 


and scrub with a scrub brush, then rinse well and dry.


There were quite a few gouges in the top and edge damage so wood filler was used to fill them all.


Once dry it was time to sand all well with my orbital sander starting with 80 grit and going finer as the desk finish was smoothed.


I was also working on doing the same to this ornate coffee table too.


Here is the desk post sanding.


While I was staining the tops of these tables with cappuccino Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil, I also stained the entire desk but the photo was missed.


The gouges needed even more wood filler so applied, dried and hand sanded smooth.


Then the top was stained again with another coat of cappuccino Fusion Stain & Finishing Oil.


Now to get painting, I chose little black dress Fusion Milk Paint.  I mixed it with a bit more water for a runnier mix, brushed on then wiped off with the foam side of an old sanding sponge.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


The top is wet and waiting to be wiped back and the left side is waiting for paint.


Once the paint was dry it was sanded with a sanding sponge. Then wiped to remove the paint dust.


To seal it and enrich the color and hydrate the wood I chose Fusion Hemp Oil. I have a dedicated Fusion Chip Brush (worn down for years of use) to apply the oil. 


Let sit for 20 minutes or so and wipe excess off with a blue shop towel.


The side view shows how the oil looks when applied and the worn finish better.


After setting the pieces back in place I decided where I wanted to add more paint - the top drawer for example which had more paint then hemp oil applied.


The last step was the hardware. All pieces were scrubbed well and left to dry. I hoped they would polish up but the metal polish did not get the results I wanted.


But using a fine grit sandpaper gave them the shine I hoped for.


The pulls along with the feet caps were put back on and this beauty is almost complete!!


But as per usual once it was moved inside and in different lighting I decided to add more paint to the left side (above left before and right is after)


I had my middle daughter help me haul it in, she is a personal trainer so relishes heavy lifting. She really liked the makeover and seeing it is her favorite color has asked for it for her Christmas gift, YEAH!!


Here is the right side


and the back side. This beauty can be viewed from all sides as a stand alone piece.


Closeup of the side drawers and hardware.


There is a handy slide out shelf and in the narrow top drawer a cute divided tray.


The bottom drawer that looks like 2 is actually deep and has adjustable folder dividers. The top drawer has loads of storage space.


I just love it so much, it is classic is shape, size and now color.






FEATURED ON




Shared at these fun link up parties

Comments

  1. I upcycled a desk exactly like this one but I'm loving your makeover so much more painted black. It's very classy, especially paired with the lovely copper hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks you so much, that means allot coming from a fellow painter. I appreciate it so much.

      Delete
  2. This turned out so pretty. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed you are now A Fusion Blogger. Does that mean you are not using Dixie Belle anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I brand ambassador for both. They both are great paint companies with so many fabulous products that cover all areas of my paint needs. I have been a Fusion blogger for about 8 years now and just in the last year joined the Dixie Belle team. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing with us I'll be featuring you this week when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, thanks Taralynn!! I look forward to it.

      Delete

Post a Comment