Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Wooden Wedding Treasure Box


My niece was getting married this summer and when asked what might she need in their home my sister suggested a wooden box for essential oil storage. I found the perfect wooden box and gave it a personalized finish just for her. 

This new wooden box was perfect; large, a good depth and raw wood.


It measures12" X 11" X 3 1/2"H 


The raw wood makes it a perfect candidate for Fusion Milk Paint. Milk paint absorbs right into the wood fibers. I chose the gorgeous grey color called silver screen; one of my nieces favorite colors for the exterior. Two coats were brushed on using a Fusion Chip Brush.


And the crisp white of Fusion Milk Paint color hotel robe for the interior. Again 2 coats were brushed on.


Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Follow me on Instagram 
Email me


Using the hotel robe white paint and a silk screen stencil I added a large scrolly design to the top.


Isn't it pretty? This is shown wet but it will dry flatter and sanded with a sanding sponge when dry smooth to the surface.


Inside was treated with a few more silk screen stencil


done in the grey silver screen.


Watch this stencil reveal video. How fun right?


Voila!!


This is the bottom; seeing it will most likely be holding liquids and getting allot of wear, I chose a durable sealer to seal the milk paint; Fusion Tough Coat Matte. Two coats of this went on too inside and out.


A light sanding again with a sanding pad smooths everything.


And this one of a kind treasure box is ready for yet more personalization.


My sister was up for a visit and brought her Cricut machine. We chose a line from the wedding song A Thousand Years by Christina Perri to add to the top of the treasure box. Big thanks to my sister for her Cricut skills.


It is perfect!!




And to be sure the Cricut vinyl stays in place for years to come I applied three more coats of Fusion Tough Coat Matte over the top drying with my heat gun to be sure each coat was dry before the next was brushed on. This personalized treasure box was off to be hand delivered to my niece to store her essential oils or love letters or jewelry or wedding cards or remotes on a coffee table or any other thing she wants in her  <3 one of a kind gift. <3



Shared at these great link up parties



Comments

  1. It's so pretty, Lee Ann, and I love the sentiment on the front. I'm sure your niece loved her handcrafted, one-of-a-kind gift from her aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. I love making something one of a kind from the heart and can't wait for her to get it. My sister took it home to USA and will get it to her soon :)

      Delete

Post a Comment