Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Floral Tote / Caddy


This sweet wooden tote/caddy looks fabulous in shades of green with vintage floral designs don't you think?

 
I picked this beer sponsored condiment caddy up at a local thrift store, so much potential to restyle it.

It was scrubbed up well and dried ready to restyle.



After much thought I chose Dixie Belle Paint in palmetto for the base coat inside and out.

Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


After the palmetto coat dried it was time for Dixie Belle Paint color called the gulf.


This soft greeny blue blended perfectly with the dark green using my Fine Mist Spray Bottle and the Dixie Belle's oval brush in the center of all sides.


However this is where the issues began because I did not use Dixie Belle Slick Stick on the super shiny smooth surface. This type of surface NEEDS this step even with the original chalk mineral type paint.

See where the paint reactivates the base coat and the shiny surface releases it causing bare patches. I tried brushing over the bare areas and it only makes it worse.

Use DixieBelle Slick Stick and save yourself the hassle I now am dealing with.


So I wiped it back to the smooth surface and repainted the area.


I love these two colors blended, you?


To create the pretty floral designs I chose vintage floral Dixie Belle transfer.


Cutting them apart makes it easier to come up with a layout for them around your project.


Once you find the spot, remove the backing and rub in place with the provided stick. This particular transfer along with the cherry blossom transfer were from another manufacturer. The transfer has a sticky halo that had a learning curve but prior to solving it I found the lack of slick stick again caused issues with the transfers that pulled the paint off as well. UGH!


Some areas were worse then others but so frustrating after all the lovely blending work so again BE SURE TO USE SLICK STICK on any shiny smooth surface to save you all this extra work.

Again the layers of paint were added after the areas were sanded smooth to correct this issue.


And the solution for this transfer's sticky halo is to burnish it with a fine grit sanding pad. This also smooths the paint as well. The sanding paper was used to distress the edges to give a rustic farmhouse feel.


Now for the sealing step; I chose clear Dixie Belle's best dang wax with brown Dixie Belle's best dang wax around the edges again to add to that rustic feel. I apply the clear with my dedicated wax Dixie Belle best dang brush  and the dark with a dedicated Dixie Belle premium chip brush.


All sides have pretty flowers and the interior is the dark green.



So many uses for this adorable tote; brush/pencil/crayon organizer, mail catcher, beverage server, makeup or utensil organizer, 


flower vase holder


condiment caddy, planter, or whatever needs corralling in a beautiful tote. 


as always a video tour of this cutie





Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

Shared up at these fun parties

Comments

  1. I love this little tot and I have all of these products!! I hope you don't mind that I copy you. My booth needs more fun things like this. Thank you for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, by all means create away, I am very humbled you want to replicate my creation :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cute. This would be a great little tote for your garden tools and supplies. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful transformation! I love the color and the flower pattern. I would love to see you share your wonderful ideas at Home Matters Link Party and You're The Star Blog Hop too. Happy Easter!
    Mel
    Decor Craft Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, I did go to these parties this week and hope to remember in the future too :)

      Delete

Post a Comment